Exploring the Difference of Two Squares: A Scientific Analysis

In summary, there are only 1 pair of numbers with a prime number difference.The Attempt at a Solution:From common sense, I can conclude that the answer to question 1 is 5 and 10. But I need an equation of some sort to get question 2.I solved for x and then substituted it into the equation, to get the number and I got 75 = 75, or 10 = 10, depending on the problem I was working out.What is the definition of a prime number? Look at the part on the right. 79 = (x+y)(x-y)But how do I solve for one variable so I can substitute. When I do, it cancels each other out
um0123

Homework Statement

1) Find all pairs of natural numbers whose squares differ by 75.

2) Find all pairs of natural numbers whose squares differ by 79.

3) Prove that there can only be 1 pair of numbers with a prime number difference

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

from common sense i can conclude that the answer to question 1 is: 5 and 10. But i need an equation of some sort to get question 2.

and I am not exactly sure what question 3 is asking.

Physics news on Phys.org
hint for part 3:
[tex]n=x^{2}-y^{2}=(x+y)(x-y)[/tex]
where n is some prime number.

Does that make sense?

Then try part 2. Isn't 79 a prime number?

Last edited:
mhm, i had already figured that out. but i solved for x and then substituted it into the equation, to get the number and i got 79 = 79, or 75 = 75, depending on the problem i was working out.

What is the definition of a prime number? Look at the part on the right.

[tex] 79 = (x+y)(x-y)[/tex]

but how do i solve for one variable so i can substitute. when i do, it cancels each other out.

EDIT: would it be a trick question? since primes can only be multiplied by 1 and their self. whereas 75 is not prime (3*25).

You know that [itex]x^2- y^2= (x- y)(x+ y)= 79[/itex]. Further you know that x and y are positive integers so x- y and x+ y are also whole numbers. How many pairs of positive integers are there that multiply to give 79? Set one of such a pair equal to x- y, the other equal to x+ y and solve the two equations.

How many pairs of positive integers are there that multiply to give 75? No, it's not a "trick" question.

theres only 1 pair that can make 79 since its prime. 1 and 79.

if you set 1 and 79 as y and x you get

[tex]79 = (79+1)(79-1)[/tex]

[tex]79 = (80)(78)[/tex]

which isn't correct.

I know there is something that you are telling me that i just don't understand.

[tex]x^2-y^2=79[/tex]

[tex]y=\sqrt{x^2-79}[/tex]

What is the range of the function y?

njama said:
[tex]x^2-y^2=79[/tex]

[tex]y=\sqrt{x^2-79}[/tex]

What is the range of the function y?

i tried that, when i substituted it for y i got:

[tex] 79 = x^2 -(\sqrt{x^2 - 79})^2 [/tex]

[tex]79 = x^2 - x^2 -79[/tex]

[tex]79=-79[/tex]

um0123 said:
theres only 1 pair that can make 79 since its prime. 1 and 79.

if you set 1 and 79 as y and x you get

[tex]79 = (79+1)(79-1)[/tex]

[tex]79 = (80)(78)[/tex]

which isn't correct.

I know there is something that you are telling me that i just don't understand.

You're not quite understand what was said. Don't set 79=x and y=1. Set (x-y)=79 and (x+y)=1, then the reverse, (ie. (x-y)=1 and (x+y)=79).

Matthollyw00d said:
You're not quite understand what was said. Don't set 79=x and y=1. Set (x-y)=79 and (x+y)=1, then the reverse, (ie. (x-y)=1 and (x+y)=79).

OH, because we are finding the squares we need to find the what numbers equal the factors, i get it.

[tex]x-y=1[/tex]
[tex]y = -x - 1[/tex]

[tex]x+y = 79[/tex]
[tex]y = -x + 79[/tex]

[tex]x+y = 1[/tex]
[tex]y=-x + 1[/tex]

[tex]x-y=79[/tex]
[tex]y=x-79[/tex]

but what do i do with these values?

um0123 said:
OH, because we are finding the squares we need to find the what numbers equal the factors, i get it.
Case 1:
[tex]x-y=1[/tex]
[tex]y = -x - 1[/tex]

[tex]x+y = 79[/tex]
[tex]y = -x + 79[/tex]

Case 2:
[tex]x+y = 1[/tex]
[tex]y=-x + 1[/tex]

[tex]x-y=79[/tex]
[tex]y=x-79[/tex]

but what do i do with these values?

You know have 2 sets of systems of equations each solvable.

and when you solve it you get 40 and 39.

and [tex] 40^2 - 39^2 = 79 [/tex]

AWESOME!

and also

[tex] 79 = (40-39)(40+39)[/tex]

PERFECT. Thanks so much!

Related to Exploring the Difference of Two Squares: A Scientific Analysis

What is the Difference of Two Squares?

The difference of two squares is a mathematical expression that represents the difference between two perfect square numbers. It can be written in the form of (a^2 - b^2) where a and b are integers. This term is commonly used in algebra and is an important concept in understanding polynomial expressions.

How do you solve a Difference of Two Squares?

To solve a Difference of Two Squares, we can use the formula (a^2 - b^2) = (a + b)(a - b). This formula is known as the "difference of two squares formula". By factoring the expression into two binomials, we can easily find the solution for the difference of two squares.

What is the significance of Difference of Two Squares?

The significance of Difference of Two Squares lies in its use in algebraic equations. By understanding this concept, we can easily simplify and solve polynomial expressions. It is also important in understanding the properties of perfect squares and their relationship with each other.

What are some real-life applications of Difference of Two Squares?

Difference of Two Squares has various real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. In engineering, it is used in calculating the area between two squares or rectangles. In physics, it is used in calculating the difference in energy levels between two states. In finance, it is used in calculating the difference in returns on investments.

Are there any other ways to represent Difference of Two Squares?

Yes, there are other ways to represent Difference of Two Squares. It can also be written as (a - b)^2, which is known as the "difference of squares formula". This form is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus to simplify equations and find solutions. However, both forms are equivalent and can be used interchangeably.