Exploring the Discovery of Stars: A Data Management Project

In summary, The conversation is about a project on the discovery of stars and the difficulty in finding information on non-naked eye visible stars. The suggestion is made to look for a sky survey of the Milky-Way and to use online resources to find names of astronomical objects. The reason stars have names is because they are in catalogues.
Tido611
Hello
Im doing a project for data management and i thought i could do a project on when stars where discovered when, where kinda thing. I've looked all around and i can't find quiet what I am looking for so i thought if i asked here some one would have a little somthing to help me out.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stars that are naked-eye visible were pretty much discovered the first time someone looked up. And most stars that are not naked-eye visible do not have names. You may be able to find a catalog of a sky survey of the Milky-Way, though.

There are several online resources that help you 'resolve' names of astronomical objects (e.g. http://archive.stsci.edu/searches.html" has a rich set of search tools, you'll find many such as SIMBAD and NED).

Stars get names because they're in catalogues, so the OP's question pretty much becomes one of the history of catalogues (and their scope, of course!).

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Exploring the Discovery of Stars: A Data Management Project

1. What is the purpose of the "Exploring the Discovery of Stars" data management project?

The purpose of this project is to analyze and organize data related to the discovery of stars in order to gain a better understanding of the history and evolution of our universe.

2. What types of data are included in this project?

This project includes a wide range of data, including observational data from telescopes, historical records of star sightings, and data from scientific studies and experiments.

3. How will this project contribute to our understanding of stars?

By organizing and analyzing large amounts of data, this project will help to identify patterns and trends in the discovery of stars, providing insights into the evolution of stars and the processes that govern their formation and behavior.

4. Who is involved in this project?

This project involves a team of scientists and researchers with expertise in astronomy, data management, and computer science. It may also involve collaborations with other organizations and institutions that hold relevant data.

5. What are the potential applications of the findings from this project?

The findings from this project may have implications for a wide range of fields, including astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology. They may also inform future space exploration missions and contribute to our understanding of the origins of the universe.