Exploring the Equivalence of Einstein and Newton's Formulation of Gravity

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
In summary, Einstein's formulation of gravity is analogous to the differential form of Newton's version, with the metric tensor and energy-momentum tensor playing the same roles as gravitational potential and density respectively. The 4 in Newton's version becomes an 8 in Einstein's equation because it is in a 4-dimensional space and measures the field at the surface of a 4-sphere, which has a surface area of 8πr^3. This is mathematically derived from requiring R00 = 4πGρ, and has a physical significance that is still being studied.
snoopies622
I have read that Einstein's formulation of gravity [tex]G_{ab}=\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4}T_{ab}[/tex] is analogous to the differential form of Newton's version [tex]\nabla ^2 \phi = 4 \pi G \rho[/tex] with the metric tensor and energy-momentum tensor in the modern form playing the same roles as gravitational potential and density in the classical one, respectively.

My question: why did the 4 become an 8?

Physics news on Phys.org
In simple, though rough terms, Newton's version is in a 3 dimensional space and measures the field at the surface of a sphere and that area is given by 4\pi r^2.

Einstein's equation is in a 4 dimensional space and measures the field at the surface of a 4-sphere and that area is given by 8\pi r^3.

I may be miscalculating but I'm getting the 'surface volume' of a 3-sphere to be [tex]2 \pi ^2 R^3 [/tex] (instead of [tex]8 \pi R^3[/tex]).

Last edited:
Hi snoopies622! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a rho: ρ :wink:)
snoopies622 said:
I may be miscalculating but I'm getting the 'surface volume' of a 3-sphere to be [tex]2 \pi ^2 R^3 [/tex] (instead of [tex]8 \pi R^3[/tex]).

Yes, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-sphere#Volume_of_the_n-ball, the 4-ball has volume π2r4/2, and surface area 2π2r3

(the surface area is always n/r times the volume of the n-ball)
My question: why did the 4 become an 8?

The mathematical reason:

we require R00 = 4πGρ.

But R00 = constant(T00 - 1/2 T g00),

and T00 - 1/2 T g00 = ρc4 - 1/2 ρc4,

so the constant must be 8πG :smile:

(i got this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_Field_Equations_(EFE)#The_correspondence_principle :redface:)

… but I'd still like someone to explain the physical significance of this! :rolleyes:

Thanks, tiny-tim. I'll spend some time looking through that Wikipedia derivation.

Related to Exploring the Equivalence of Einstein and Newton's Formulation of Gravity

What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the distribution of electric charges in a specified region and the resulting electric potential. It is often used in electrostatics and plays a key role in understanding the behavior of electric fields.

Who is Poisson and why is this equation named after him?

Simeon-Denis Poisson was a French mathematician and physicist who first derived the equation in 1812. The equation was later named after him as a tribute to his contributions to mathematics and physics.

What are the applications of Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include electrostatics, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and image processing.

What are the limitations of Poisson's equation?

One of the main limitations of Poisson's equation is that it only applies to steady-state systems, meaning that the electric charges and potential do not change over time. It also assumes that the medium in which the electric charges exist is homogeneous and isotropic.

How is Poisson's equation related to Laplace's equation?

Poisson's equation is a more general form of Laplace's equation, which is a special case where there are no electric charges present. In other words, Laplace's equation can be obtained from Poisson's equation by setting the charge density to zero.