Exploring the Fate of Energy in Plastic Deformation of Materials

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy expenditure when bending a steel bar. While some energy is expended as noise and heat, the rest is used for plastic deformation of the bar. This raises questions about the conservation of energy and the equation E = Q + W. The conversation also mentions hysteresis losses and how work is done on the bar, converting some of it into heat. At the atomic level, plastic deformation involves breaking bonds and rearranging atoms into a lower energy state, resulting in heat creation and increased entropy. This is the same outcome as spending energy on heating the bar.
SethGrace
I have a simple question that I cannot find a compelling answer for.

If I expend (let's say) 100 kJ bending a steel bar into a right angle, where did the energy go?

Some will obviously be expended as noise and heat. Will the rest be expended in the plastic deformation of the bar? No useful mechanical energy can be obtained from the bar after the 100 kJ is invested in it. Did almost all the energy go into elongating and compressing the steel grains and migrating dislocations? If so, that almost seems like 100 kJ disappeared from the universe without any being stored for later use or any heat being created. That doesn’t satisfy E = Q + W, right?

Science news on Phys.org
Due to loading and unloading you would get hysteresis losses which manifest as heat.

Well, you moved molecules of the steel around (F x d). I'd say that was work. Heat was expended in the process. I think E = Q + W is satisfied.

rock.freak667 said:
Due to loading and unloading you would get hysteresis losses which manifest as heat.

So in other words, 100 kJ of heat is created when 100 kJ of energy is spent bending a bar?
E = 100 kJ, Q = 100 kJ, and W = 0 kJ?

I'll have to read more on hysteresis as well. Thanks for the reply.

SethGrace said:
So in other words, 100 kJ of heat is created when 100 kJ of energy is spent bending a bar?
E = 100 kJ, Q = 100 kJ, and W = 0 kJ?

I'll have to read more on hysteresis as well. Thanks for the reply.

No, you are doing work on the bar, some of which goes into deforming the bar and some is converted to heat.

Thanks again for the reply.

I suppose I'm basically stumped on how (on the atomic scale) deforming material consumes energy.

I understand how heating an object results in increasing the RMS velocity of its constituent atoms as well as how compressing a gas increases its pressure and temperature and gives it the capacity to do useful work. I don't understand how plastically deforming a piece of metal results in the equivalent creation of heat and stored energy however. I also cannot visualize that conservation of energy on the atomic scale.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

At the atomic level, metals are really like crystal lattices. They have atomic bonds and arrange themselves in planes. In plastic deformation, you are creating shear stresses between atomic planes and breaking bonds. That's where the energy is going. The atoms during bending try to configure themselves into the lowest energy state possible.

I think I'm starting to see it.

When the atoms scramble to find the lowest energy state after plastic deformation, heat is created which increases the entropy of the system. Additionally, by breaking bonds in the lattice structure, the entropy of the system has also been significantly increased, right? That way energy consumed by deforming the material is not 'protected' from entropy.

If I were to spend 100kJ heating up the steel bar I would increase the entropy of the system as much as I would if I spent 100 kJ bending the bar, correct?

Related to Exploring the Fate of Energy in Plastic Deformation of Materials

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors affect physical systems and their behavior.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. They include the First Law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted, and the Second Law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.

3. How do thermodynamics and materials science relate?

Materials science is the study of the properties, structure, and performance of different materials. Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in understanding how materials behave and how they can be manipulated or optimized for specific applications.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow the free flow of heat or electricity, while insulators are materials that resist heat or electricity flow. This difference is due to the atomic and molecular structures of the materials and their ability to transfer or trap energy.

5. How is thermodynamics used in engineering?

Thermodynamics is used in engineering to design and optimize systems that involve heat transfer, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. It is also used to study and improve the performance of materials and processes in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.