Exploring the Group Theory of Latin Squares

In summary, the number of n by n Latin squares is represented by the sequence A002860, with no known formula for computation. The lower and upper bounds for large orders are still widely apart, with the classic estimate being (n!)^(2n)/(n^(n^2)) and the product of each factorial of k raised to the power of n/k. The number of structurally different Latin squares, which are not identical under rotation, mirroring, or permutation of symbols, to an order of 6 is represented by the sequence A264603.
AdrianZ
As I'm studying permutation groups I remembered that when I was in elementary school my teacher introduced Latin squares to us and asked us to find all 4 by 4 Latin squares. I never succeeded in solving the problem and I found it so challenging at that time, even later in high school when I returned to the problem they looked to be generated so randomly and lawlessly.

Today I returned to the problem, this time I'm equipped with some basic group theory results and I was hopeful that I could find the nature of Latin squares better than before because I expected their nature would be close to permutation groups or products of permutation groups. Again I failed to solve this mind-boggling problem lol. I've found 24 4 by 4 Latin squares so far, but I expect to find more, like 30 or 36. It's obvious to me that whatever the number of n by n Latin squares is, there must be a factor of (n-1)! because if I found a Latin square, I can find (n-1)! such Latin squares just by permutation of the rows 2,...,n. (provided that no repeated Latin square is formed)

Is there any general formula for predicting how many n by n Latin squares exist?
How many 4 by 4 Latin squares exist?

I've defined that two Latin squares are equivalent if they can be converted to each by a finite number of permutations of their rows (except the first row). I believe that's an equivalence relation. Is there any way to find out how many equivalence classes we can have for an n*n Latin square?

If we write n rows of a Latin square as [e,∏1,∏2,∏3,...,∏n] Do the ∏i's form a particular structure like a group or something close to a group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Number of Latin squares (Wikipedia)

The numbers ##{\displaystyle L (n)}## of Latin squares of the order ##{\displaystyle n = 1,2,3, \ ldots}## form sequence A002860 in OEIS. There is no easy-to-compute formula known for the sequence ##{\displaystyle L (n)}##. The best known lower and upper bounds for large orders are still far apart. A classic estimate is:
$$
{\displaystyle {\frac {\left (n! \right)^{2n}}{n^{n^{2}}}} \leq L (n) \leq \prod_ {k = 1}^{ n} \left ( k! \right)^{n / k}}
$$
The numbers of structurally different Latin squares (i.e., the squares which are not made to be identical by rotation, mirroring, or permutation of the symbols) to order 6 form sequence A264603 in OEIS.

Related to Exploring the Group Theory of Latin Squares

1. What is a Latin Square?

A Latin square is a mathematical structure that consists of a square grid filled with symbols or numbers, such that each symbol appears exactly once in each row and column. It is often represented by an n x n grid, where n is the number of symbols used.

2. How is the Group Theory applied to Latin Squares?

The Group Theory is used to study the properties and structure of Latin squares. It allows us to classify and compare different types of Latin squares, as well as find patterns and relationships between them. Group Theory also plays a role in the construction and enumeration of Latin squares.

3. What is the significance of Latin Squares in mathematics?

Latin squares have applications in various areas of mathematics, including combinatorics, coding theory, and design theory. They are also used in real-life applications such as scheduling and experimental designs. Additionally, the study of Latin squares has led to the development of other mathematical concepts and theories.

4. Can Latin Squares be generalized to other structures?

Yes, Latin squares can be generalized to higher dimensions, known as Latin cubes or higher dimensional Latin squares. They can also be extended to Latin rectangles, where the symbols must appear exactly once in each row and column, but not necessarily in a square grid.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to Latin Squares?

Yes, there are still many open problems and conjectures in the field of Latin squares. Some of these include finding the maximum number of mutually orthogonal Latin squares, characterizing the structures of special types of Latin squares, and determining the existence of certain types of Latin squares.