Exploring the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that if $c(x) \leq -c_0<0$ in $\overline{\Omega}$, then the inequality $\min\{ 0, \frac{\min_{\Omega}f(x)}{-c_0}\}\leq u(x) \leq \max_{\Omega} \{ 0, \frac{\max_{\Omega}f(x)}{-c_0} \}$ holds for a given elliptic operator $L$. The participants discuss the possibility of modifying the proof of a lemma to show the desired inequality, and also consider using a theorem that relates the maximum of a function to its boundary and the value of the operator.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

We consider the following problem.

$$Lu=f(x) \text{ in } \Omega \\ u|_{\partial{\Omega}}=0$$

I want to show that if $c(x) \leq -c_0<0$ in $\overline{\Omega}$, then it holds that $\min\{ 0, \frac{\min_{\Omega}f(x)}{-c_0}\}\leq u(x) \leq \max_{\Omega} \{ 0, \frac{\max_{\Omega}f(x)}{-c_0} \}$.

( In general, if $L$ is an elliptic operator, then $Lu=\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x) u_{x_i x_j}+ \sum_{i=1}^n \beta_i(x) u_{x_i}+cu$)
I thought that we could modify somehow the proof of the following lemma:

Lemma: Let $L$ be an elliptic operator in a bounded space $\Omega$ and $u \in C^2(\Omega) \cap C^0(\overline{\Omega})$. If $Lu \geq 0$ ($Lu \leq 0$) , $c \leq 0$ in $\Omega$ then

$$\sup_{\Omega} u \leq \max \left( \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} u, 0\right)$$

$$\left( \inf_{\Omega} u \geq \min \{ \inf_{\partial{\Omega}} u,0\}\right)$$

The proof is the following:$e^{\gamma x_1}$, $\beta_0=\sup \frac{|\beta_1|}{\lambda}, c_0=\sup \frac{|c|}{\lambda}$

$L e^{\gamma x_1}= a_{11} \gamma^2 e^{\gamma x_1}+ \beta_1 \gamma e^{\gamma x_1}+c e^{\gamma x_1} \geq e^{\gamma x_1}( a_{11} \gamma^2- \lambda \beta_0 \gamma - \lambda c_0) \geq e^{\gamma x_1} \lambda (\gamma^2-\beta_0 \gamma-c_0)>0$, we choose $\gamma$ to be large enough.$L(u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})=Lu+ \epsilon Le^{\gamma x_1}>0$

$\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})_{x_i x_j}+ \sum_{i=1}^n \beta_i (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})_{x_i}+ c(u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})>0 $

$u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}$ does not achieve its positive maximum in $\overline{\Omega} \setminus{\partial{\Omega}}$

so $u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1} \leq 0$ or it achieves its positive maximum in $\partial{\Omega}$

$u \leq u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1} \leq \max \{ 0, \sup_{\partial{\Omega}}(u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \} \ \forall x \in \Omega$

$u \leq \max \{ 0, \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} (u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1}) \} \ \forall x$

$\epsilon \to 0$In our case, we would have $L(u+ \epsilon e^{\gamma x_1})=f+Le^{\gamma x_1}$.

But can we write an inequality for the above, although nothing is given for $f$ ?

Or could we maybe use somehow the following theorem?

Theorem: Let $Lu=f$ in a bounded space $\Omega$, $L$ an elliptic operator and $u \in C^2(\Omega) \cap C^0(\overline{\Omega})$. Then

$$\sup_{\overline{\Omega}} |u| \leq \sup_{\partial{\Omega}} |u|+ C \sup \frac{|f|}{\lambda}, \text{ C constant}$$

$\lambda$ is such that $0< \lambda |\xi|^2 \leq \sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x) \xi_i \xi_j \ \ \ \ \xi \in \mathbb{R}^n, x \in \Omega$

Physics news on Phys.org
If the maximum is achieved on the boundary, then it is zero.

Suppose that the maximum is achieved at some $x_0 \in \Omega$.

Then we have $Lu(x_0)=\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}u_{x_ix_j}(x_0)+cu(x_0)=f(x_0)$ and thus $c(x_0) u(x_0) \geq f(x_0)$.

From this we get that $u(x) \leq u(x_0) \leq \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \max_{\Omega} \frac{f(x)}{c(x)}$.

But I think that it does not hold that $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\max_{\Omega} f(x)}{-c_0}$ since $\frac{1}{c(x_0)} \geq \frac{1}{-c_0}$. What do you think? (Thinking)

evinda said:

Then we have $Lu(x_0)=\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}u_{x_ix_j}(x_0)+cu(x_0)=f(x_0)$ and thus $c(x_0) u(x_0) \geq f(x_0)$.

From this we get that $u(x) \leq u(x_0) \leq \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \max_{\Omega} \frac{f(x)}{c(x)}$.

But I think that it does not hold that $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\max_{\Omega} f(x)}{-c_0}$ since $\frac{1}{c(x_0)} \geq \frac{1}{-c_0}$. What do you think? (Thinking)

As part of the elliptic operator, what can we say about $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}u_{x_ix_j}(x_0)$?
Is it $> 0$? Or merely $\ne 0$? (Wondering)Suppose we pick an example.

Say $\Omega = (-1,1),\quad Lu=u''-u,\quad f(x)=x,\quad c(x)=-c_0=-1$.
\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=4, ultra thick, font=\Large, >=stealth']
\draw[gray,thin,->] (0,-1) -- (0,1.1);
\draw (-1,0) -- (1,0) node[below] at (-0.35,0) {$\Omega$};
\draw[green] (-1,-1) -- (1,1) node
{$f(x)$};
\draw[red,domain=-1:1] plot (\x,{(exp(2)*\x-\x+exp(1-\x)-exp(\x+1))/(1-exp(2))}) node[below] at (0.5,-0.1) {$u(x)$};
\draw[fill] (-1,0) circle (0.02) node
{$\partial\Omega$} (1,0) circle (0.02) node
{$\partial\Omega$};
\draw[thin,red] (-0.6,0) node[below left] {$x_0$} -- (-0.6,0.056) [fill] circle (0.015) node[above] {$u(x_0)$};
\draw[thin,green] (-0.6,0) -- (-0.6,-0.6) [fill] circle (0.015) node[below right] {$f(x_0)$};
\end{tikzpicture}
Do you think this is a proper example? Or do you know a better example? (Wondering)​

I like Serena said:
As part of the elliptic operator, what can we say about $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}u_{x_ix_j}(x_0)$?
Is it $> 0$? Or merely $\ne 0$? (Wondering)

If at $x_0$ , the function $u$ achieves its maximum then $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x_0) u_{x_i x_j}(x_0) \leq 0$ and if $u$ achieves its minimum at $x_0$ then $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x_0) u_{x_i x_j}(x_0) \geq 0$.
I like Serena said:
Suppose we pick an example.

Say $\Omega = (-1,1),\quad Lu=u''-u,\quad f(x)=x,\quad c(x)=-c_0=-1$.
\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=4, ultra thick, font=\Large, >=stealth']
\draw[gray,thin,->] (0,-1) -- (0,1.1);
\draw (-1,0) -- (1,0) node[below] at (-0.35,0) {$\Omega$};
\draw[green] (-1,-1) -- (1,1) node
{$f(x)$};
\draw[red,domain=-1:1] plot (\x,{(exp(2)*\x-\x+exp(1-\x)-exp(\x+1))/(1-exp(2))}) node[below] at (0.5,-0.1) {$u(x)$};
\draw[fill] (-1,0) circle (0.02) node
{$\partial\Omega$} (1,0) circle (0.02) node
{$\partial\Omega$};
\draw[thin,red] (-0.6,0) node[below left] {$x_0$} -- (-0.6,0.056) [fill] circle (0.015) node[above] {$u(x_0)$};
\draw[thin,green] (-0.6,0) -- (-0.6,-0.6) [fill] circle (0.015) node[below right] {$f(x_0)$};
\end{tikzpicture}
Do you think this is a proper example? Or do you know a better example? (Wondering)​

You mean in order to check the inequality?​

evinda said:
If at $x_0$ , the function $u$ achieves its maximum then $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x_0) u_{x_i x_j}(x_0) \leq 0$ and if $u$ achieves its minimum at $x_0$ then $\sum_{i,j=1}^n a_{ij}(x_0) u_{x_i x_j}(x_0) \geq 0$.
Ah yes.
You mean in order to check the inequality?

Yes.
It seems to me that we have 2 cases:
Either $f(x_0)\ge 0$, in which case $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \le 0$.
Or $f(x_0) < 0$, as in the example, in which case $
\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \le \frac{\inf_\Omega f(x)}{\sup_\Omega c(x)} \le \frac{\inf_\Omega f(x)}{-c_0}$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Yes.
It seems to me that we have 2 cases:
Either $f(x_0)\ge 0$, in which case $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \le 0$.
Or $f(x_0) < 0$, as in the example, in which case $
\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \le \frac{\inf_\Omega f(x)}{\sup_\Omega c(x)} \le \frac{\inf_\Omega f(x)}{-c_0}$. (Thinking)

So in order to show the inequality, we have to distinguish cases for $f$, right?

The solution of your example is $u(x)=c_1 e^x-c_1 e^{-x}-x$, right?

evinda said:
So in order to show the inequality, we have to distinguish cases for $f$, right?

The solution of your example is $u(x)=c_1 e^x-c_1 e^{-x}-x$, right?

I think so yes. (Thinking)

Oh, and the solution for my example is:
$$u(x)=\frac{e^2x-x+e^{1-x}-e^{x+1}}{1-e^2}$$
Courtesy of Wolfram. (Blush)

I think that this:

From this we get that $u(x) \leq u(x_0) \leq \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)}$
holds in any case.

Now if $f(x) \geq 0$ then $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\max_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)}$ and if $f(x)<0$ then $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\min_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)}$ .

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Now if $f(x) \geq 0$ then $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\max_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)}$ and if $f(x)<0$ then $\frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\min_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)}$ .

Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Shouldn't that be $f(x_0) \geq 0$ respectively $f(x_0)<0$? (Wondering)Anyway, let's consider $f(x) \geq 0$.
Suppose $f(x_0)=1$, $\sup_\Omega f(x)=2$, and $c(x_0)=-1$.
Then we'd get:
$$-1=\frac{1}{-1} = \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\sup_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)} = \frac 2{-1} = -2$$
That can't be right, can it? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Shouldn't that be $f(x_0) \geq 0$ respectively $f(x_0)<0$? (Wondering)

Oh yes, right... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Anyway, let's consider $f(x) \geq 0$.
Suppose $f(x_0)=1$, $\sup_\Omega f(x)=2$, and $c(x_0)=-1$.
Then we'd get:
$$-1=\frac{1}{-1} = \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} \leq \frac{\sup_{\Omega} f(x)}{c(x_0)} = \frac 2{-1} = -2$$
That can't be right, can it? (Wondering)

No, it can't... (Shake)

Can we maybe only consider the maximum value of the whole expression $\frac{f}{c}$ ?

Or what else have I done wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Oh yes, right... (Nod)
No, it can't... (Shake)

Can we maybe only consider the maximum value of the whole expression $\frac{f}{c}$ ?

Or what else have I done wrong? (Thinking)

Let's see... (Thinking)

We suppose that $u$ has a maximum in $\overline\Omega$ at $x_0$.
Then we have:
$$u(x) \le u(x_0) \le \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} = \frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|}$$

Case 1. Suppose $f(x_0) \ge 0$, then at least $\frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|} \le 0$.
But maybe we can make it sharper.

Case 1a. Suppose additionally that for all $x \in \overline\Omega: -f(x)<0$, so $\sup_\Omega(-f(x))<0$, then:
$$\frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|} \le \frac{\sup_\Omega(-f(x))}{|c(x_0)|}=\frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{|c(x_0)|}
\le \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)|} = \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{-\inf_\Omega c(x)}
<0$$

Case 1b. If we don't have case 1a, then $0$ is the sharpest upper boundary.

How does it look so far?
And how could we continue? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let's see... (Thinking)

We suppose that $u$ has a maximum in $\overline\Omega$ at $x_0$.
Then we have:
$$u(x) \le u(x_0) \le \frac{f(x_0)}{c(x_0)} = \frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|}$$

Case 1. Suppose $f(x_0) \ge 0$, then at least $\frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|} \le 0$.
But maybe we can make it sharper.

Case 1a. Suppose additionally that for all $x \in \overline\Omega: -f(x)<0$, so $\sup_\Omega(-f(x))<0$, then:
$$\frac{-f(x_0)}{|c(x_0)|} \le \frac{\sup_\Omega(-f(x))}{|c(x_0)|}=\frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{|c(x_0)|}
\le \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)|} = \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{-\inf_\Omega c(x)}
<0$$

Case 1b. If we don't have case 1a, then $0$ is the sharpest upper boundary.

How does it look so far?
And how could we continue? (Wondering)

Why does it hold that $\frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{|c(x_0)|} \le \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)|}$ although $\sup_\Omega|c(x)| \geq |c(x_0)|$ and thus $\frac{1}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)| } \leq \frac{1}{|c(x_0)|}$?

Don't we have the opposite inequality? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Why does it hold that $\frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{|c(x_0)|} \le \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)|}$ although $\sup_\Omega|c(x)| \geq |c(x_0)|$ and thus $\frac{1}{\sup_\Omega|c(x)| } \leq \frac{1}{|c(x_0)|}$?

Don't we have the opposite inequality? (Thinking)

Because the numerator is negative.
Don't we have
$$\frac{-1}{1}<\frac{-1}{2}$$
(Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Because the numerator is negative.
Don't we have
$$\frac{-1}{1}<\frac{-1}{2}$$
(Wondering)

Yes. (Nod)

And why does it hold that $ \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{-\inf_\Omega c(x)}<0$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Yes. (Nod)

And why does it hold that $ \frac{-\inf_\Omega(f(x))}{-\inf_\Omega c(x)}<0$ ? (Thinking)

Because $-\inf_\Omega(f(x))$ is negative by assumption, and $-\inf_\Omega c(x)$ is positive by definition. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Because $-\inf_\Omega(f(x))$ is negative by assumption, and $-\inf_\Omega c(x)$ is positive by definition. (Thinking)

Ok. And we know that if the maximum is achieved at the boundary, then it is equal to $0$.

So we have that $u(x) \leq \min \{ 0, \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}\}=0 \Rightarrow u(x) \leq \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.

Right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ok. And we know that if the maximum is achieved at the boundary, then it is equal to $0$.

So we have that $u(x) \leq \min \{ 0, \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}\}=0 \Rightarrow u(x) \leq \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.

Right? (Thinking)

Actually, with our assumption that $-f(x)>0$, we have that $u(x) \leq \min \{ 0, \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}\}=\frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.
However, we have a boundary value of $0$, so the maximum can't be $\frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.
So if we have an internal maximum and if $-f(x)>0$ for all $x$ in $\Omega$, we have $u(x) \le 0$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Actually, with our assumption that $-f(x)>0$, we have that $u(x) \leq \min \{ 0, \frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}\}=\frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.
However, we have a boundary value of $0$, so the maximum can't be $\frac{-\inf_{\Omega} f(x)}{-\inf_{\Omega} c(x)}$.
So if we have an internal maximum and if $-f(x)>0$ for all $x$ in $\Omega$, we have $u(x) \le 0$. (Thinking)

You mean with the assumption that $-f(x)<0$ ? (Thinking)

Does it indeed hold that when we have $Lu=f(x)$ in $\Omega$ and $u|_{\partial{\Omega}}=0$ with negative $c(x)$ that we cannot have a positive solution? (Thinking)

Is the following inequality right?

$$u(x) \leq \max \{0, \max_{\Omega} \frac{f(x)}{c(x)} \}$$

If so, then $\max_{\Omega} \frac{f(x)}{c(x)}$ could also be positive. Couldn't it? (Thinking)

Related to Exploring the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$

1. What is the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$?

The Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ is a mathematical concept used in the field of partial differential equations (PDEs). It states that the solution to a PDE can be found by solving the associated linear, homogeneous PDE $Lu=0$ first, and then using it to solve the original PDE $Lu=f$. This method is known as the method of variation of parameters.

2. What is the significance of the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$?

The Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ is significant because it provides a systematic approach for solving PDEs, which are important in many areas of science and engineering. It also allows for the solution of more complex PDEs by breaking them down into simpler linear PDEs.

3. How is the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ applied in real-world problems?

The Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ is applied in real-world problems by providing a mathematical framework for finding solutions to PDEs. This can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena.

4. Are there any limitations to the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$. It can only be applied to linear, homogeneous PDEs, and it does not provide a general solution for all PDEs. Additionally, it can be challenging to apply in some cases due to the complexity of the PDEs.

5. Can the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ be extended to non-linear PDEs?

No, the Lemma and Theorem for $Lu=f$ in $\Omega$ is only applicable to linear PDEs. Non-linear PDEs require different methods and techniques for solving them, and the Lemma and Theorem cannot be directly extended to these types of equations.