Exploring the Logic of Science: Is it Sense or Nonsense?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of logic and its use in mathematics. The participants question how to differentiate between nonsense and correct logic, as well as what can be defined as logical or a tautology. The forum's primary mission is to help students in physics, math, and other sciences, and philosophical discussions may distract from that. Resources and suggestions for further reading are also provided for those interested in learning more about mathematical logic.
Tenshou
Does anyone honestly know what this is? I mean we use it in an argument, in the mathematical discipline every day. How can we tell something is non sense compared to logic, or if it is true and "correct" logic? What can we define to be logical, or a tautology? I think logic is a superb topic for the day, even more so since the forum is a "science" forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tenshou said:
Does anyone honestly know what this is? I mean we use it in an argument, in the mathematical discipline every day. How can we tell something is non sense compared to logic, or if it is true and "correct" logic? What can we define to be logical, or a tautology? I think logic is a superb topic for the day, even more so since the forum is a "science" forum.

Tenshou, the primary mission of PF is to help students with problems and projects in physics, math and other sciences. Philosophical things distract from that mission as does fringe science. If you have a problem in math or physics or some science that you need help on please ask. We aren't here to chat about something purely of interest to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Exploring the Logic of Science: Is it Sense or Nonsense?

1. What is the purpose of exploring the logic of science?

The purpose of exploring the logic of science is to understand the principles and reasoning behind scientific methods and theories. It allows us to critically evaluate scientific claims and make informed decisions based on evidence.

2. What is the difference between sense and nonsense in science?

Sense in science refers to ideas and theories that are supported by evidence and logical reasoning. Nonsense, on the other hand, refers to claims that are not supported by evidence or do not follow logical principles.

3. How do scientists determine if a theory is valid?

Scientists use a combination of empirical evidence, logical reasoning, and peer review to determine the validity of a theory. This involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and comparing results with other studies in the field.

4. Can scientific theories and ideas change over time?

Yes, scientific theories and ideas are constantly evolving as new evidence is discovered and new technologies are developed. This is a natural and essential part of the scientific process.

5. How does exploring the logic of science benefit society?

Exploring the logic of science benefits society by promoting critical thinking and evidence-based decision making. It also helps to debunk pseudoscience and false claims, leading to a better understanding of the world around us.

Back