Exploring the Mathematics Behind String Theory and Poincare's Conjecture

In summary: This is an area where I am not terribly familiar as I don't think I have taken any courses in it, but I could be wrong about that.
GreenLRan
Hi,
I'm a graduate engineering student, and as an undergrad I had all the typical engineering math courses: Cal I - III, linear algebra, and differential equations. I am curious. What else is out there?

You hear about the top theoretical physicists of the day trying to prove string theory or find "the theory of everything," also recently the problem involving poincare's conjecture that was solved (I'm guessing this was solved with differential equations and some complex geometry?).

What branch(s) of mathematics are involved with these kinds of proofs? This is not my field particularly as I am not a physicist (I do have a minor in physics however), but I very much want to improve my skills as a mathematician.

Can anyone provide any guidance, references, sources, or books that I may look into?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about how physicists do it, but as far as mathematicians, this is what I have gathered about these topics (I am more familiar with the former than the latter, which isn't saying a lot, so I'll just stick to what I am pretty certain the prereqs are):

Perelman used techniques in differential geometry and algebraic topology, from what I gather. Both of these areas are quite advanced even at the introductory level, especially algebraic topology. In order to get to algebraic topology you need to understand proofs, then you need to do some courses in graduate algebra (maybe one algebra course and a group theory course), then some topology, then you probably will have picked up enough set theory etc. on the way and you can take the grad course in algebraic topology.

As for differential topology as far as I am aware you need real analysis and multivariate real analysis, then you can tackle it.

FAQ: Exploring the Mathematics Behind String Theory and Poincare's Conjecture

1. What is "Beyond Differential Equations"?

"Beyond Differential Equations" refers to the study of advanced mathematical concepts and techniques that go beyond the traditional methods of solving differential equations. It involves topics such as partial differential equations, nonlinear systems, and numerical methods.

2. What are some applications of "Beyond Differential Equations"?

"Beyond Differential Equations" has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to model complex systems and predict their behavior, making it useful in understanding real-world phenomena and making informed decisions.

3. Is "Beyond Differential Equations" a difficult subject?

It can be challenging for those new to the subject, as it requires a strong foundation in basic calculus and differential equations. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered, and the rewards are worth the effort.

4. What are some resources for learning "Beyond Differential Equations"?

There are various textbooks, online courses, and videos available for learning "Beyond Differential Equations." It is also helpful to attend lectures and seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or professors in the field.

5. How can "Beyond Differential Equations" be applied to real-life problems?

"Beyond Differential Equations" provides powerful tools for solving complex problems and understanding the behavior of systems in the real world. It can be used to model and predict the spread of diseases, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of financial markets, among other applications.