Exploring the Meaning of Length in Loop Quantum Gravity

In summary, the concept of length is meaningful in LQG, but it may be less basic than either area or volume.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Short question: is the concept of length meaningful in LQG?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
Short question: is the concept of length meaningful in LQG?

Hurkyl in my opinion the most developed and applied branch of LQG
is LQC and Bojowald just this month published a very brief summary of the current status of his field.

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0503020

one could take this as representative of LQG
here you will see area operators/eigenvalues
and volume operators/eigenvalues

you will not see a length operator, or a length eigenvalue

over and over again, in LQG analysis, I have seen length arise as the square root of area, and it could also emerge as the volume of something divided by its cross-section area.
And so I have gotten the impression that length is less of a basic or primitive measurement and more derived.

I have the impression that Yes the concept of length IS meaningful in LQG and, although not in bojowald's brief paper, one encounters lengths quite often! Although it may be less basic to LQG than either area or volume and more of a convenient derived concept.

Do you have any ideas about this? I could be interesting to pursue it some.

(also I am just someone on the sidelines giving my impression, an LQG expert might contradict me and say length was equally basic with area and volume)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it is worth note a related question in quantum mechanics, where it seems that the symplectic area (in phase space) is more important that the position (in configuration space).

Actually, Thomas looked at the length operator in LQG in his paper gr-qc/9606092. It is done with his usual technique based on the volume operator.
But this length operator is not particularly enlightening... the area operator is the "fundamental" geometrical operator in LQG because we are using a gauge theory formalism with a connection one-form. The natural object for a one-form is to be integrated along a line. Then as the metric (the triad) is conjugated to the connection, the natural object to consider is its integrated form over the dual of a line i.e a (d-1) manifold if you are working in a (d,1) spacetime. In 2+1 gravity, it is a a line too, in 3+1, it is a surface. I guess that this fits pretty well with the holographic principle stuff...
Also, one must keep in mind that the geometrical operators are defined on the non-diffeomorphic invariant Hilbert space in LQG. If one works in the diffeomorphic invariant kinematical space, then it is much harder to understand what one means by the distance between two objects.. what do you think?..

Related to Exploring the Meaning of Length in Loop Quantum Gravity

1. What is Loop Quantum Gravity?

Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to explain the fundamental nature of space and time at the smallest scales.

2. How does Loop Quantum Gravity relate to the concept of length?

In Loop Quantum Gravity, space is quantized and has a discrete structure, meaning that it is made up of tiny indivisible units of length. These units of length are referred to as "loops" and play a crucial role in the theory.

3. What is the significance of exploring the meaning of length in Loop Quantum Gravity?

Understanding the concept of length in LQG is important because it helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the very fabric of space and time. It also has implications for our understanding of the origins and behavior of the universe.

4. Is there any experimental evidence for Loop Quantum Gravity and its concept of length?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for LQG. However, there have been various theoretical predictions that could potentially be tested in the future through experiments such as gravitational wave detectors and high-energy particle colliders.

5. What are some potential applications of Loop Quantum Gravity and its concept of length?

Some potential applications of LQG and its concept of length include improving our understanding of black holes, the early universe, and the behavior of matter at the smallest scales. It may also have implications for technology, such as quantum computing.