Exploring the Movement of a Metal Bar in a Magnetic Field

In summary, a metal bar with higher conductivity was placed on two rails with increasing slope. The bottom of the rails were connected to a power supply, and in the absence of any external magnetic field, a current was induced in the loop causing the bar to gradually climb the rails until coming to rest. It was assumed that the gravitational and magnetic forces were equal. The key question was why the bar moves, and Lenz's Law states that an induced current will oppose the change in magnetic flux within a loop. This explains why the bar moves upwards in the absence of an external magnetic field.
Bengo

Homework Statement

Can't seem to upload the figure in my workbook so I'll describe it. A metal bar is placed on 2 rails that slope up with a gradually increasing tangent. The bar has a higher conductivity than the rest of the apparatus. The 2 ends of the rails at the bottom are connected to a power supply. In the absence of any external magnetic field, a voltage was applied to produce a current in the loop. The bar gradually climbed the rails until eventually coming to rest. It was assumed that the gravitational force on the bar was equal to the magnetic force generated by the current.

I just want to know why the bar moves. none of the questions in the passage really address it.

Homework Equations

Faraday's law

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force I can think of is the one originating from the magnetic field from the current in the loop in which the metal bar is a part of but I don't think it can act on itself.

I tried to apply lenz's law but there is no External magnetic field to opposeEdit: I guess the attachment did go through

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Bengo said:

Homework Statement

Can't seem to upload the figure in my workbook so I'll describe it. A metal bar is placed on 2 rails that slope up with a gradually increasing tangent. The bar has a higher conductivity than the rest of the apparatus. The 2 ends of the rails at the bottom are connected to a power supply. In the absence of any external magnetic field, a voltage was applied to produce a current in the loop. The bar gradually climbed the rails until eventually coming to rest. It was assumed that the gravitational force on the bar was equal to the magnetic force generated by the current.

I just want to know why the bar moves. none of the questions in the passage really address it.

Homework Equations

Faraday's law

The Attempt at a Solution

The only force I can think of is the one originating from the magnetic field from the current in the loop in which the metal bar is a part of but I don't think it can act on itself.

I tried to apply lenz's law but there is no External magnetic field to oppose

Edit: I guess the attachment did go through
What is does Lenz's Law state?

SammyS said:
What is does Lenz's Law state?

It states that when there a change in the magnetic flux within a loop a current will be induced that opposes it.

If the loop starts out with no magnetic flux and then it gains magnetic flux from the emf I would think the bar would move in a way to decrease this flux but I don't know how that translates into it moving upwards

Bengo said:
It states that when there a change in the magnetic flux within a loop a current will be induced that opposes it.

If the loop starts out with no magnetic flux and then it gains magnetic flux from the emf I would think the bar would move in a way to decrease this flux but I don't know how that translates into it moving upwards
Yes, this is puzzling .

At first I thought that the conductivity might be the key. I don't see that as the case.

Maybe i left out some important info so I'll attach the passage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 401
I think you're misinterpreting this question. The bar falls due to gravity. XD

Lentz's law states that ##emf = \frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{d(\vec{B}\cdot \vec{A})}{dt} = emf = V = IR##

correction: it's -dphi/dt and the negative sign carrys through =/

I get that the bar falls due to gravity but It's still not clicking with me how lenz's law explains why the bar moves up in the absence of an external magnetic field. Thanks!

Related to Exploring the Movement of a Metal Bar in a Magnetic Field

1. What is the purpose of exploring the movement of a metal bar in a magnetic field?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the principles of magnetism and how it affects the movement of a metal bar. It can also demonstrate the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the movement of a metal bar?

A magnetic field exerts a force on a metal bar due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the metal. This force causes the metal bar to move in a specific direction.

3. What factors affect the movement of a metal bar in a magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the metal bar, and the presence of any other magnetic or electric fields can all affect the movement of a metal bar in a magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism in this experiment?

In this experiment, the movement of the metal bar is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the metal. This movement of electrons is a form of electricity, showing the close relationship between electricity and magnetism.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding the principles of magnetism and the movement of a metal bar in a magnetic field can have practical applications in various industries, such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation technology. It can also play a role in the development of new technologies and devices.