Exploring the Mystery of Q in Curved Mirrors

In summary, mirrors can be curved to create a virtual image that appears to be behind the mirror. This virtual image is at a point where the reflected rays intersect.
FizixFreak
while reading curved mirrors we come across a term denoted as Q(the distance of image from the mirror)but as the image is formed right on the mirror so the distance of the image from the mirror should be zero?? which is of course not the case.

Science news on Phys.org
FizixFreak said:
while reading curved mirrors we come across a term denoted as Q(the distance of image from the mirror)but as the image is formed right on the mirror so the distance of the image from the mirror should be zero?? which is of course not the case.

It may seem that the image is actually at the mirror but it isn't.The image is at the place where the reflected rays pass through in the case of a real image or at the place where the reflected rays seem to come from in the case of a virtual image.Think of the virtual image in a plane mirror,this is as far behind the mirror as the object is in front.

Dadface said:
It may seem that the image is actually at the mirror but it isn't.The image is at the place where the reflected rays pass through in the case of a real image or at the place where the reflected rays seem to come from in the case of a virtual image.Think of the virtual image in a plane mirror,this is as far behind the mirror as the object is in front.

one really weird thing came into my mind since the rays from the body are intersecting at some other point the mirror is actually just receiving the image from that place (air i believe?) and showing it to us.

any body agrees with me?

any body out there:rolleyes:

i really need to know this stuff so please is there anybody here that can help:confused:

I assume you know how to ray trace . The light rays come from the object and reflect off the mirror and then you trace them back to a point of convergence and this will be where you virtual image is . Depends on the situation . I'm not quite sure what your question is .

cragar said:
I assume you know how to ray trace . The light rays come from the object and reflect off the mirror and then you trace them back to a point of convergence and this will be where you virtual image is . Depends on the situation . I'm not quite sure what your question is .

i am aware of all that stuff.
i wanted to ask that if all the images are formed on the mirrors so why do we use the term Q(distance of image from the mirror) as the image is being formed right on the mirror so that would imlply that the distance of image from the mirror is zero in any case but of course it is not taken to be zero.
so that is my question

Our brain could interpret the image in front of the mirror or behind it . Not from the photon source .

FizixFreak said:
one really weird thing came into my mind since the rays from the body are intersecting at some other point the mirror is actually just receiving the image from that place (air i believe?) and showing it to us.

what do you think about this view

FAQ: Exploring the Mystery of Q in Curved Mirrors

1. What is Q in curved mirrors?

Q is a mathematical representation of the distance between the center of curvature of a curved mirror and the focal point. It is used to calculate the magnification and image formation in curved mirrors.

2. How is Q related to the focal length of a curved mirror?

The focal length of a curved mirror is equal to half of the value of Q. This means that as Q increases, the focal length decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative values of Q?

Positive values of Q represent convex mirrors, while negative values represent concave mirrors. This is because the center of curvature and focal point are located on opposite sides of the mirror in these two types of mirrors.

4. How is the position of the image determined using Q?

The position of the image is determined by the ratio of Q to the object distance (p). If Q is greater than p, the image will be real and inverted. If Q is less than p, the image will be virtual and upright.

5. Can Q be used to determine the size of the image in curved mirrors?

Yes, Q can be used to calculate the magnification of the image in curved mirrors. The magnification is equal to the ratio of the image distance (q) to the object distance (p). Therefore, the size of the image can be determined by multiplying the magnification by the size of the object.