Exploring the Origin of Space: Theories and Perspectives

• Thread starter 36grit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and its expansion in the universe. The metric expansion of space is the commonly accepted theory, which suggests that space is simply expanding rather than expanding into something else. Some individuals have proposed other theories, such as the "Jet Theory," but these are not accepted in the scientific community. The concept of perpetual distance is also mentioned, but it is not a widely accepted theory. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for a better understanding of the expansion of space and the current theory in place.
36grit
Where does space come from? In an expanding universe this conduit must be generated by something. Are there any theories?

Is it possible that the universe is not expanding, but that we are shrinking, or is it a matter of perspactive and dimension?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
36grit said:
Where does space come from? In an expanding universe this conduit must be generated by something. Are there any theories?

Is it possible that the universe is not expanding, but that we are shrinking, or is it a matter of perspactive and dimension?
Just because something is expanding, doesn't mean that we need "more" of it. Think of blowing up a balloon - the balloon expands without needing more rubber.

Hootenanny said:
Just because something is expanding, doesn't mean that we need "more" of it. Think of blowing up a balloon - the balloon expands without needing more rubber.

Is there any scientific evidence of this stretching?
Are there any other theories?

Your balloon model works well in a 2 dimensional world but if we look at it in a three dimensional setting , say a spongey material, we see that the space outside the sponge is simply sucked into fill the voids. So how can space suck in space to fill the void without it coming from somewhere ?

Last edited:
36grit said:
Is there any scientific evidence of this stretching?
Are there any other theories?
There is a plethora of evidence available for the metric expansion of space. A simple google search should bring up a sufficient number of results.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "other theories". Could you perhaps expand a little?

Hootenanny said:
There is a plethora of evidence available for the metric expansion of space. A simple google search should bring up a sufficient number of results.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "other theories". Could you perhaps expand a little?

You answered as I was editing my last post. Here's the edit again:

Your balloon model works well in a 2 dimensional world but if we look at it in a three dimensional setting , say a spongey material, we see that the space outside the sponge is simply sucked into fill the voids. So how can space suck in space to fill the void without it coming from somewhere ?

If the space in our universe is suking in space from outside our universe then what's the difference? If the space is being sucked in by another dimension, Let's say time, then some entity must define the point of entry. And now we're back to my theory "Jet Theory", that is unacceptable on these forums so I was looking for what is acceptedable in the scientific community.

36grit said:
You answered as I was editing my last post. Here's the edit again:

I'm afraid I really don't understand what you're getting at. The balloon was intended as a simply analogy and shouldn't be taken literally.

The commonly accepted notion of the metric expansion of space is not to consider space as expending into something else which already exists, but rather simply expanding. Rather than thinking of "space" expanding, think of it as the distance between objects increasing.

Hootenanny said:
I'm afraid I really don't understand what you're getting at. The balloon was intended as a simply analogy and shouldn't be taken literally.

The commonly accepted notion of the metric expansion of space is not to consider space as expending into something else which already exists, but rather simply expanding. Rather than thinking of "space" expanding, think of it as the distance between objects increasing.

perpetual motion?

Last edited:
36grit said:
perpetual motion?
Pardon?

Hootenanny said:
Pardon?

I ment perpetual distance.

I guess that's the acceptable scientific theory.

Truly I hope there's another one.

What is it you don't like about the current theory on the expansion of the universe? I think you should probably attempt to understand it better before you dismiss it.
I don't think we can understand the expansion of space the same way as we can understand the expansion of "stuff" (matter) because space is essentially a measurement. I don't know that many of us quite have our minds around what it means for the universe to expand, and how it can do it faster than c. If you're going to dismiss a theory you should probably have some understanding of it first.

-DaveK

36grit said:
Now picture a balloon with 3-dimensional hypersurface being inflated in 4-space. You still only have stretching. The "inside" isn't part of space.

I think the term "perpetual distance" defines a pretty good understanding of the theory.
I never dismissed it. I just would like to see some others to compare it to. As far as I know, at this point, there only two theories. It seems the one dismissed is the only one that gives a reasonable explanation.

FAQ: Exploring the Origin of Space: Theories and Perspectives

1. What is the origin of space?

Space is believed to have originated from the Big Bang, a cosmic event that occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago. During this event, all matter and energy in the universe was compressed into a single point of infinite density, known as a singularity. This singularity then expanded rapidly, creating the space we know today.

2. Does space have an end or boundary?

The current understanding is that space is infinite and has no end or boundary. However, the observable universe, which is the part of the universe we can see from Earth, does have a boundary known as the cosmological horizon. This is the farthest distance that light has been able to travel since the beginning of the universe.

3. Is space constantly expanding?

Yes, space is constantly expanding. This expansion is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the universe to accelerate in its expansion. The rate of expansion is also increasing, meaning that the universe is expanding faster and faster over time.

4. Are there other dimensions in space?

While there is no direct evidence for the existence of other dimensions in space, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that there may be more than three dimensions. These dimensions, if they exist, are thought to be incredibly small and curled up within the fabric of space itself.

5. Can space be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, space cannot be created or destroyed. It can only change form and be transformed into matter or energy. The expansion of the universe may make it seem like new space is being created, but in reality, it is just the existing space stretching out.