Exploring the Origins of Our Universe

• Thread starter zynko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Labs
In summary, the conversation discusses theories on the beginning of the universe, including the possibility of a 10 dimensional universe and string theory. One theory suggests that the universe began with extreme temperature and pressure, while another suggests it was caused by gravitation and compression. The discussion also mentions the difficulty of proving string theory experimentally and the potential combination of both theories.
zynko
They say it would take 10 trillion trillion degrees and probably tons of pressure. Maybe more then the center of a red giant. Maybe more then a neutron star. Well if this is the way our universe began, were did the temperature and pressure come from.
I am reading different stuff on how the big bang or the beginning of the universe was and i can't piece it together...one reading says that all the dimensions where interconnected and one big universe tell it broke into two pieces..a 4 dimensional universe and a 6 dimensional universe, and that the 6 dimensional universe shrunk done to the Planck length (Hyperspace by Michio Kaku).
Another reading says that it had somthing to do with gravitation and vacuums and everything being compressed to the size at whitch a proton look gigantic (The History of Everything by Bill Bryson).

And the top paragraph was a thought of mine...Can someone help me piece this together? Is it all connected or different theorys?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the 10 dimensional universe theory (4 macroscopic dimensions, and 6 microscopic dimensions) has to do with string theory, which has not yet been proven experimentally (Which would be rather difficult).

I suppose the latter explanation is how general relativity would explain it. I think both theories would work in combination together, its just that general relativity and other laws describing macroscopic bodies have been proven experimentally, while the string theory (along with the idea that there are 10 dimensions) has not.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are many theories and ideas about the origins of our universe, and it can be overwhelming to try and piece them all together. It's important to remember that these are just theories and our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving as we gather new evidence and information.

The idea of a 4 dimensional and 6 dimensional universe is a concept in string theory, which is one of the many theories attempting to explain the origins of the universe. String theory suggests that there are more dimensions beyond the three we can perceive, and that they were compacted at the beginning of the universe. However, this is just one theory and it is still being explored and debated by scientists.

The concept of gravitation and vacuums compressing everything to the size of a proton is another theory known as the "big bounce" or "cyclic universe" theory. This theory suggests that our universe goes through cycles of expansion and contraction, with each cycle beginning with a "big bang" and ending with a "big crunch." Again, this is just one theory and it is still being studied and debated.

It's important to keep an open mind and continue to explore the different theories and ideas about the origins of our universe. We may never have a definitive answer, but the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is what drives science and discovery.

Related to Exploring the Origins of Our Universe

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of our universe. It states that approximately 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was contained in a single, infinitely dense point called a singularity. This singularity then rapidly expanded, creating the universe as we know it today.

2. How do scientists study the origins of our universe?

Scientists use various methods to study the origins of our universe, including observing cosmic microwave background radiation, analyzing the distribution of galaxies and dark matter, and conducting experiments with particle accelerators.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang Theory?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the Big Bang Theory is the observed cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover heat from the early stages of the universe. Other evidence includes the abundance of light elements, the expansion of the universe, and the redshift of galaxies.

4. What was the universe like in its early stages?

In the early stages of the universe, it was extremely hot and dense. As it expanded, it cooled down and allowed for the formation of subatomic particles, atoms, and eventually stars and galaxies. It was also filled with intense radiation and energy that shaped the structure of the universe.

5. Are there any competing theories to the Big Bang?

While the Big Bang Theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origins of our universe, there are other competing theories such as the Steady State Theory and the Oscillating Universe Theory. However, these theories have been largely discredited due to lack of evidence.