Exploring the Origins of the Universe: Unraveling the Mystery of the Big Bang

• Thread starter sruthisupriya
  • Start date
In summary, the universe is expanding uniformly and there is no center to the universe. While the big bang theory suggests that the expansion started from a small region, we cannot pinpoint the direction from which we are expanding. This is because there is no objective inertial framework relative to the CMBR and the universe is constantly expanding in all directions. Therefore, we cannot retrace the steps of our expansion and there is no way to determine a center point in the universe.
sruthisupriya
There is something that i don't understand.Our position in space is nothing special and according to observations the universe is expanding uniformly. But, the big bang implies that the expansion started off from a very small region.So, we must be expanding in a particular direction(to the best of my understanding).My question is,using this can't we pinpoint the direction from which we are expanding or where the bigbang happened?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The problem is that from where are it looks like that where at the center of the universe form every point in the universe looks like center but it isn't(unless you actullay are at the center the universve)It's hard to tell since most of observable universe isn't visble but we can see enough of it to know that were not at the center.

scott1 said:
it's hard to tell since most of observable universe isn't visble but we can see enough of it to know that were not at the center.

How do we know that we are not at the center and since we know it, isn't there anyway we can retrace the steps of our expansion?

sruthisupriya said:
How do we know that we are not at the center and since we know it, isn't there anyway we can retrace the steps of our expansion?
I'am not sure if there's enough reserch to retrace the steps of our expansion.Reserch of the expansion of the universe is new(compared to the age of it) and there really isn't a center of the Universe because of how space curves.It's like asking where is the center of sphere surface.I'am not sure what whould be in between the universe.

sruthisupriya said:
There is something that i don't understand.Our position in space is nothing special and according to observations the universe is expanding uniformly. But, the big bang implies that the expansion started off from a very small region.So, we must be expanding in a particular direction(to the best of my understanding).My question is,using this can't we pinpoint the direction from which we are expanding or where the bigbang happened?

Space expands in all directions and we don't think there's any center to the universe. There are a lot of threads on this issue, so I suggest a search of the forums. Here are a few threads to get you started:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=66781"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=99140"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98068"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=16761"

Last edited by a moderator:
Might it not at least be possible to have an objective inertial framework relative to the CMBR?

WarrenPlatts said:
Might it not at least be possible to have an objective inertial framework relative to the CMBR?

The CMBR doesn't provide us a reference frame from which to define a preferred position or a preferred direction. It does leave us the possibility of defining a preferred Lorentz frame -- in fact, it is from this frame that we define the age of the universe.

FAQ: Exploring the Origins of the Universe: Unraveling the Mystery of the Big Bang

1. Where did humans first originate?

Humans first originated in Africa, specifically in the region known as the Great Rift Valley. Fossil evidence suggests that the first modern humans evolved from earlier hominid species around 200,000 years ago.

2. How did life on Earth begin?

The scientific theory of evolution suggests that life on Earth began through a process of natural selection and genetic mutation over millions of years. The exact mechanism of how the first living organisms formed is still being researched and debated.

3. Did humans evolve from apes?

No, humans did not evolve from apes. Both humans and apes evolved from a common ancestor, which lived approximately 6-7 million years ago. This ancestor then split into different branches, with one branch evolving into modern humans and the other into modern apes.

4. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origins of the universe. It proposes that about 13.8 billion years ago, all matter and energy in the universe was condensed into a singularity, which then expanded rapidly, creating the universe as we know it.

5. Is there any evidence for the theory of evolution?

Yes, there is a wealth of evidence from various fields of science that supports the theory of evolution. This includes fossil records, genetic studies, and observations of natural selection in action. Additionally, the theory of evolution has been tested and refined over time, making it a widely accepted explanation for the diversity of life on Earth.