Exploring the Pattern of Complex Numbers in Matlab

In summary, while playing with complex numbers in Matlab, the speaker noticed that when the variable x is incremented by an integer power, the value of a, defined as (e^x)^i(pi/2), is rotated by pi/2 radians in the complex plane. This pattern continues as x is incremented, resulting in a rotation around the unit circle. After discussing this with someone, the speaker was pointed to an interesting Wikipedia article on Euler's formula in complex analysis. Upon further exploration, the speaker realized that e^a * e^a = e^(a+a) for complex numbers. While not groundbreaking, this discovery provided a more intuitive understanding of the concept.
MathAmateur
I was playing around with complex numbers in Matlab this evening and noticed this interesting pattern:

Given:

[tex]a = (e^{x})^{i \pi/2}[/tex]

When x is incremented an integer power (0,1,2,3), the a is rotated [tex]{\pi/2}[/tex] radians in the complex plane. It started out at 0 radians with x = 0 and then rotated to [tex]{\pi/2}[/tex] radians with x= 1 (the familiar Euler result) and then then to [tex]{\pi}[/tex], etc, around and around the unit circle.

I found this very interesting and just wanted to share it and ask if there were any comments on why this may be so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this Wiki article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula_in_complex_analysis" interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for pointing out the interesting article. I now see that what I found out above was:

[tex]e^{a}e^{a}=e^{a+a}[/tex] for complex numbers.

This maybe isn't Earth shaking but it does give me a more intuitive feel for what is going on to discover it on my own.

Related to Exploring the Pattern of Complex Numbers in Matlab

What is Matlab and how is it used in exploring complex numbers?

Matlab is a programming software commonly used by scientists and engineers to analyze and visualize data. It has built-in functions and tools that make it easy to work with complex numbers, such as plotting them on a complex plane and performing mathematical operations on them.

What is the significance of exploring complex numbers in Matlab?

Complex numbers are essential in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to describe and model real-world phenomena. By exploring complex numbers in Matlab, scientists can gain a better understanding of these phenomena and make more accurate predictions.

What are the basic operations that can be performed on complex numbers in Matlab?

Matlab allows for basic arithmetic operations on complex numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also has functions for calculating the magnitude and phase of a complex number, as well as converting between rectangular and polar forms.

How can I plot complex numbers on a complex plane in Matlab?

Matlab has a built-in function called "plot" that can be used to plot complex numbers on a complex plane. Simply input the real and imaginary parts of the complex number as x and y coordinates, respectively, and use the "hold on" command to add multiple points to the same plot.

Can I use Matlab to solve complex equations involving complex numbers?

Yes, Matlab has functions for solving complex equations, such as "roots" which can find the roots of a polynomial with complex coefficients. It also has a symbolic math toolbox that allows for solving more complex equations involving complex numbers algebraically.