Exploring the Philosophies of Time: Godel and Einstein's Relationship Unveiled

• Thread starter Substance D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discussed two science books, A World Without Time and A Different Universe. The first book was praised as one of the best science books and a great introduction to Godel. It delves into the philosophy of time and the relationship between Einstein and Godel. The second book received a negative review. The participants also discussed their interest in science books and recommendations for other reads.
Substance D
Just wanted to throw my hat into this section of the forum. I had read this book awhile ago, and its one of the best science books I've ever read, also it is one of the best introductions to Godel. Its very fasinating, it goes into the philosophy of time and it talks about Einsteins and Godels relationship, something some books just touch on but don't go into to much depth.

A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Godel and Einstein

Just wanted to also say that I thought the popular science book A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down was horrible :mad:

Anyone else read these two?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these two science books. I haven't read A World Without Time, but it sounds like a really interesting read. I've always been fascinated by Godel and Einstein's relationship and their work in the philosophy of time. I'll definitely have to check it out.

As for A Different Universe, I haven't read it either but I appreciate your honest review. It's always helpful to hear different perspectives on books, especially in the science community where there can be a lot of complex and diverse opinions.

Have you read any other science books that you would recommend? I'm always looking for new reads to add to my list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I find the exploration of the philosophies of time to be a fascinating topic. The relationship between Godel and Einstein is a perfect example of how scientific theories and philosophies can intersect and influence each other. Godel's work on the concept of incompleteness in mathematics challenged the notion of absolute truth and certainty, while Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of space and time.

The book mentioned, "A World Without Time: The Forgotten Legacy of Godel and Einstein," seems like an intriguing read that delves into these complex ideas and their relationship. It's always refreshing to come across a science book that not only explains the concepts, but also delves into the philosophical implications of those concepts.

On the other hand, I can understand the disappointment with "A Different Universe: Reinventing Physics from the Bottom Down." As scientists, we expect accurate and well-supported explanations of theories and concepts, and it can be frustrating when a book falls short of that. However, it's important to remember that not all popular science books are created equal and to continue seeking out reliable and well-written sources for scientific information.

Overall, I appreciate the mention of these books and their exploration of the philosophies of time. It's a thought-provoking and important topic that continues to shape our understanding of the universe.

FAQ: Exploring the Philosophies of Time: Godel and Einstein's Relationship Unveiled

1. What is the concept of "A World Without Time"?

The concept of "A World Without Time" refers to a hypothetical scenario where time does not exist as we know it. This means that there would be no concept of past, present, or future, and events would not occur in a linear sequence.

2. How would a world without time function?

In a world without time, there would be no aging, no clocks or calendars, and no way to measure the passing of time. All events would occur simultaneously and there would be no way to determine cause and effect. The laws of physics and the concept of cause and effect would also be fundamentally altered.

3. What are some potential implications of a world without time?

Some potential implications of a world without time include the breakdown of society as we know it, as time plays a crucial role in organizing our daily lives and societal structures. Additionally, our understanding of the universe and our place in it would be drastically altered.

4. Is a world without time scientifically possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that a world without time is possible. The concept is largely theoretical and goes against our current understanding of the laws of physics. However, it is a thought-provoking concept that can help us better understand the nature of time and its role in our lives.

5. How does the concept of "A World Without Time" relate to theories of time travel?

The concept of "A World Without Time" is often explored in discussions about time travel, as it challenges our understanding of the relationship between time and space. It also raises questions about the possibility of traveling to different points in time and the consequences of altering the past in a world without time.