Exploring the Polar Nature of Water: Hydrogen & Oxygen

In summary, The conversation discusses the polarity of water and its ionization process. The question posed is if the attraction between the oxygen nucleus and electrons in water could be increased to the point where the oxygen has a complete grip on the electrons and repels the hydrogen protons. The answer is that this is possible, as shown by the process of electrolysis, which separates water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. However, in pure water, this reaction is balanced and only a small number of molecules split into H+ and OH-. The acidity of a substance is described by the number of H+ ions, and the pH is used to measure this potency of hydrogen.
LurkingEyes
I like the human example better than the general Wikipedia, so here goes the question:

We all know water is polar yes? Meaning the Oxygen nucleus attracts the electrons more than the Hydrogen nuclei.

So my question being, if you could in theory increase that attraction, make that attraction stronger, enough so that the oxygen has a complete grip on those electrons, and probably enough to repel the Hydrogen protons, what would happen?

Would the Hydrogens stay at all costs with it's electrons, or would it simply leave? And then what would the oxygen atom which would be stable wouldn't it?

If this seems an obvious question, my defense is that I come from a school where knowing what a proton is, gets you an A.

Physics news on Phys.org
We all know water is polar yes? Meaning the Oxygen nucleus attracts the electrons more than the Hydrogen nuclei.
Water is ionized slightly, even if pure; i.e. some molecules split into H+ and OH-.

In an acid like HCl, there are a large nujmber of H+ ions where the electron has left the proton. The relative number of H+ ions is described by the PH.

We usually seem to think of reactions as going one way. In actual truth, many real life reactions happen both ways.

For, as mathman said, *Water is ionized slightly because the reaction: [tex]OH^{-} + H^{+}[/tex] To [tex]H_2O[/tex] works both ways. The vast majority goes to H20, but some go backwards to Hydroxide and Hydrogen ions. To find out the exact ratio of the reactions, you need to do some calculations to work out a value commonly represented by K.

* When I said water, it was ordinary everyday water. Pure Water is exactly that, 100% H20. It is not practical, but if it is called PURE water, then that's what it is.

A H+ is simply a lone proton. High numbers of these causes acidity, which is why it is described by pH, Potency of Hydrogen.

Basically, to your question, The proton would leave, and a hydroxide ion will be left over.

Ah, that would make sense. We only covered pH as Hydronium and Hydroxide.
I never really thought of water having a two-way reaction. And I wasn't sure if you could actually remove the proton by itself.

That said, is it possible to remove Both hydrogen protons?

That said, is it possible to remove Both hydrogen protons?

Electrolysis does that, at one terminal you get hydrogen gas, at the other oxygen gas.

Related to Exploring the Polar Nature of Water: Hydrogen & Oxygen

1. How does the polar nature of water affect its properties?

The polar nature of water, meaning that it has both a positive and negative charge, allows for unique properties such as surface tension, high heat capacity, and the ability to dissolve other substances. This polarity is due to the unequal sharing of electrons between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in a water molecule.

2. Why is water considered the "universal solvent"?

Water's polar nature allows it to attract and dissolve a wide variety of substances, earning it the nickname of "universal solvent". This is due to its ability to break apart and surround other charged molecules, effectively dissolving them and creating a solution.

3. How does the hydrogen bond between water molecules contribute to its properties?

The hydrogen bonds between water molecules are responsible for many of its unique properties. These bonds are constantly forming and breaking, allowing water to move and flow easily, as well as creating the high surface tension and heat capacity that make it such an important molecule for life.

4. What is the role of water in living organisms?

Water is essential for life as we know it. Its polar nature allows it to act as a solvent, transporting nutrients and waste throughout an organism's cells. It also helps to regulate temperature, maintain cell structure, and is involved in many biochemical reactions.

5. How does the polar nature of water contribute to Earth's climate?

Water's polarity has a significant impact on Earth's climate. It is a major component of the water cycle, where it evaporates from bodies of water, condenses in the atmosphere, and falls back to the surface as precipitation. It also helps to moderate temperatures on Earth, as water has a high heat capacity and can absorb and release heat energy slowly, contributing to more stable climates.