Exploring the Possibilities of 2D Time in Tic-Tac-Toe: A Mind-Bending Concept

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a higher dimensional version of tic-tac-toe where time is also considered. The game would be played on a one-dimensional board with turns representing seconds in time A and B, and players would have to create a 3x3 grid using both times. The conversation also touches on the idea of an extra time dimension creating an infinite amount of time continuums. There is also a discussion about the difference between time and space, with the main difference being that we always travel through time but never through space.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
We've all played tic tac toe before, and I'm assuming that some of the members here have played "3d" tic tac toe, where you play on a cube instead of a square. (the game is much more complicated)

Well, I was thinking about what the game would be like if it were in higher dimensions, and how blocks become more and more obsolete etc... when my thoughts shifted to space-time and back. This ended in me thinking "what if there were 2 times instead of 2 space D in the game"

I started wondering how the game would be played. Obviously causality would be very different, would time A precede time B? Would they hit together and just not work at all? If you did something 1 second into time A, and you were only .5 seconds into time B, could you do the opposite there??

I ended up thinking the game would play like this:
You have a one dimensional board with 3 slots (instead of a 3x3 grid)
You go, then your partner goes, until the row is filled.
-each turn represents one second in time A
Then, second 2 happens in time B (A is reset to 1)
-The row is emptied and you 'start over' (in time A)
Repeat until 3 seconds have passed in both A and B
-Create a 3x3 grid using times A and B.

Count how many tic-tac-toes each player has and the one with the most wins. If there's a tie... umm some sort of "I won first in time B so :P" rule?

The game seems simple, but consider playing it with a 3x3 or 3x3x3 grid.
I think it would all come down to memory.

Anyways, this really didn't accumulate to anything, did it? Just my idea of how 2d time would work. You have to finish a line before you start your grid.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I don't know much about time dimensions. Perhaps an extra time dimension would produce an infinite amount of other time continums instead of just the one we are on. Like a plane has an infinite amount of lines going though it. But I'm just guessing.

But isn't that more of a space dimension? (an infinite amount of x on y)
I always though the main difference between time and space is that no matter what we do, we endup traveling through time. In space no matter what we do, we never move (everybody else does!).

Related to Exploring the Possibilities of 2D Time in Tic-Tac-Toe: A Mind-Bending Concept

1. What is 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe?

2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe is a concept that explores the possibilities of adding a time dimension to the traditional 3x3 grid of the game. This means that players would have to consider not just the current state of the board, but also the previous moves made by their opponent.

2. How does 2D time affect gameplay in Tic-Tac-Toe?

Adding a time dimension to Tic-Tac-Toe introduces a new level of complexity and strategy to the game. Players must now think ahead and anticipate their opponent's moves, as well as adapt to changes in the board over time.

3. Is 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe a real concept or just a theoretical idea?

2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe is a theoretical concept that has been explored by scientists and mathematicians as a way to understand and analyze complex systems. It has not yet been implemented in a physical game, but it presents interesting possibilities for future developments.

4. What are the potential benefits of exploring 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe?

Exploring 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe can provide valuable insights into the complexities of decision making in dynamic environments. It can also lead to the development of new strategies and approaches in other fields, such as artificial intelligence and game theory.

5. How can we visualize 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe?

One way to visualize 2D time in Tic-Tac-Toe is to use a 4D representation, with the addition of a time axis. This would allow us to see the changes in the board over time and how each move affects the overall game. Another way is to use computer simulations to model and analyze different scenarios of 2D time gameplay.