Exploring the Possibility of Retrocausality and Acausality in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of locality in the context of quantum mechanics and whether it includes the prohibition of retrocausality. It is noted that there is no single universally understood definition of locality and it ultimately depends on how it is defined in a specific scenario. The Bell theorem contains an assumption that there is no retrocausality and the transactional interpretation of QM assumes that retrocausality resolves quantum puzzles. The conversation also mentions Bell's paper, which provides an explicit definition of locality, and the assumption that if two systems are correlated, then there must be some form of influence or common cause between them. However, it is acknowledged that this assumption is not logically necessary and there may be other explanations for correlations.
entropy1 said:
Does the definition of locality in the QM sense include the prohibition of retrocausality?

Others had asked for more specificity of what you mean by "locality" I wonder what you mean by "retrocausal"?

The concept, from its word forms, depends on a concept of "causal".

What do you mean when you refer to causal or causality? Take state A transforming into state B over time. Usually "A causes B" means something like "IF A had not occurred B would not have been the result" or perhaps "the outcome B necessarily depended upon A as one its causes" (which is another instance of "but for" A B would not necessarily have been the result. Observe, one never claims B was caused by A, if B was not necessarily the result of A, but could have been the result of C, or D.

At first blush "retrocausal" (here take A in the future as "causing" B in the present) seems to point at a meaning something like "If A will not occur in the future, B cannot be the result in the present" or "but for A occurring in the future, B would not occur in the present", or "the effect B of the present, would not be, but for the cause A in the future", or "B in the present is a necessary effect of A, the cause, in the future".

For A at a future time to cause B at an earlier time there is an element of necessary connection or a "but for" requirement, i.e. but for A (future) B (now) would not be the result, A caused (er will cause... and is causing) B.

The question that arises is, if A of the future causes B of the present, does that require that A must occur in the future (determinism) since we see B now, and there is a necessary connection. If there is a necessary connection how does this differ from identifying that B (now) causes A (later)? Would B's existence now stand as a barrier to any action or actor in preventing A happening later? i.e. Would your attempt to thwart A simply "somehow" result in your creating A? i.e. is A preordained or fated by the existence of B WHEN A and B are retrocausally related?

What would happen if one set up an apparatus to measure B when it was caused by a future A, and use that measurement to cause non-A before A comes into existence?Just wondering what you mean by "retrocausal" and its relation to "causality".

Physics news on Phys.org
ObjectivelyRational said:
Just wondering what you mean by "retrocausal" and its relation to "causality".

I can't provide any kind of reasonable definition of retrocausal beyond this simple one, which is obviously flawed but at least helps to put the temporal element into the equation:

If the future is a factor affecting correlations now, it's retrocausal. I simply ignore the "causal" part or the word to make sense of it, and therefore there is no relationship to "causality". Some might prefer the label "time symmetric". In such theories, locality - the causal cone - extends both forward and backward in time. This precisely matches the limits of what occurs in nature. I.e. entanglement does not occur further than what can be cobbled together by such "extended" local connections. So the pure unlimited non-locality implied by Bohmian theory does not exist in retrocausal theories. Yet there are some "non-local" effects to be studied.

A major problem is that even "retrocausal" theories do not provide an explanation that is "more complete" than orthodox theory. RUTA's Relational BlockWorld does not purport to be retrocausal (even though I often refer to it as such, much to his chagrin). He calls it "acausal" because elements of both the past and the future are factors in quantum outcomes. Regardless of the term you use to label such theories, there is still no clear cut delineation of what is the cause vs. what is the effect. So I have no disagreement with that label either.

Likes bhobba
What would happen if one set up an apparatus to measure B when it was caused by a future A, and use that measurement to cause non-A before A comes into existence?

There are a number of outs. But the usual one is whatever you are thinking about being retro-casual can't send information so you can do what you suggest.

Thanks
Bill

What would happen if one set up an apparatus to measure B when it was caused by a future A, and use that measurement to cause non-A before A comes into existence?
It is because of that issue that I can't shake the feeling that retrocausality and acausality imply superdeterminism.
The question that arises is, if A of the future causes B of the present, does that require that A must occur in the future (determinism) since we see B now, and there is a necessary connection. If there is a necessary connection how does this differ from identifying that B (now) causes A (later)?
You could say that if A (future) causes B (now), then, if B wouldn't occur now, that A couldn't occur in the future. It seems to me a kind of handshake between A and B, in which A an B require each other to determine which happens and which not, that is, if you could manipulate the outcomes of A and B a little. This is: A → B, not(B) → not(A). Once it becomes known that B does not occur, the future is fixed, if A implies B.

Last edited:
entropy1 said:
It is because of that issue that I can't shake the feeling that retrocausality and acausality imply superdeterminism.

You could say that if A (future) causes B (now), then, if B wouldn't occur now, that A couldn't occur in the future. It seems to me a kind of handshake between A and B, in which A an B require each other to determine which happens and which not, that is, if you could manipulate the outcomes of A and B a little. This is: A → B, not(B) → not(A). Once it becomes known that B does not occur, the future is fixed, if A implies B.

I didn't mean to confuse the issue by proposing possible meaning for a term you used. I, not being you, was merely guessing.

Is this last thing what you had in mind when you used the concept "retrocausal"?

One thing I notice about your definition is that unlike the normal concept of "causal", interacting with a result B (after A caused B) has no effect on A. That is the causal chain is unidirectional. You seem to have a bi-directionality built into your "retrocausal"... is this true for your concept?

I didn't mean to confuse the issue by proposing possible meaning for a term you used. I, not being you, was merely guessing.
Ok.
Is this last thing what you had in mind when you used the concept "retrocausal"?

One thing I notice about your definition is that unlike the normal concept of "causal", interacting with a result B (after A caused B) has no effect on A. That is the causal chain is unidirectional. You seem to have a bi-directionality built into your "retrocausal"... is this true for your concept?
I think that if the outcomes of A and B can be manipulated (a bit), that given a causal relationship, bidirectionality is or can be a result, yes.

How do you define and distinguish the difference between, the aspect of reality which is:

A causing B (one direction)
and

the aspect of reality which is

B causing A (the other direction)

such that there is bidirectional causality.

I haven't scrutinized that, but I suppose that I would anwer something like that two observers become 'coupled' in the sense that the cause is distributed between them.

How do you define and distinguish the difference between, the aspect of reality which is:

Leaving aside the issue of what reality is - the answer is simply common-sense convention. Feynman's retro-casual view of EM is valid - the usual treatment found in textbooks is just simpler. I formally studied math - not physics and we went into mathematical modelling and models a lot. Its the usual non stated assumption made. We might challenge it if we had to - but so far no need has been found.

Thanks
Bill

entropy1 said:

Superdeterminism is causal, there’s some “super force” that guides particles where they “need to go.” Acausal, as the name implies, means causality is not an issue. Acausal explanation is not about forces acting on objects causing them to move here or there, acausal explanation could be a constraint on a 4D (spacetime) pattern, e.g., stationary action principle. Einstein’s equations of general relativity constitute a 4D constraint as well. You can’t solve for the spacetime metric on the LHS without the stress-energy tensor (SET) on the RHS. But, you can’t supply force, momentum, and energy for the SET without knowing how to make spatiotemporal measurements, i.e., you need the metric. So, Einstein’s equations are a 4D self-consistency constraint between what you mean by spatiotemporal measurements and what you mean by force, momentum, and energy.