Exploring the Possibility of White Holes and Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 'white holes' and their potential violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. Some argue that if these entities are connected to systems outside of a closed physical system, the laws of thermodynamics no longer apply. The conversation also mentions the theory of wormholes and their potential connection to black holes and white holes. However, the feasibility of this concept is still unknown.
flotsam
Does anyone on this forum give credence to the possible existence of 'white holes' and the possibility that they violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?
I know that most people (if not all) will say the 2nd law can never be violated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand questions like this concerning bizarre spacetime entities like wormholes and white holes- it is my understanding that the laws of thermodynamics apply to closed physical systems- but if one is positing entities which causally connect a physical system with systems outside that closed set [outside the light-cone of a physical system being observed]- then these laws simply no longer apply to the system in question becasue it is no longer closed
right?

I think this was sort of the idea that Ilya Prigogine tried to express

Last edited:
Well doesn't the theoretical form of wormholes not violate the laws of physics?

Here is an interesting link http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html

I think its a interesting theory. The postulation that a black hole could have a white-hole partner in another universe linked by a worm hole is curious. The black hole sucks matter in and at the other end the white hole spews it out.
But of course nobody knows whether this is even theoretically possible.

A black hole cannot spew out infalling material without that material appearing in two different spaces at the same time. This would be the physics equivalent of a felony murder

FAQ: Exploring the Possibility of White Holes and Thermodynamics

1. What is a white hole?

A white hole is a hypothetical astronomical object that is the opposite of a black hole. While a black hole has a strong gravitational pull that does not allow anything, including light, to escape, a white hole would have a strong repulsive force that does not allow anything to enter.

2. How are white holes related to thermodynamics?

White holes are related to thermodynamics because they are believed to have a temperature and emit thermal radiation, just like black holes. This radiation is known as Hawking radiation and is a result of the interaction between the white hole and virtual particles in its vicinity.

3. Are white holes a confirmed scientific phenomenon?

No, white holes are currently only a theoretical concept and have not been confirmed by any observational evidence. They are still a topic of ongoing research and exploration in the field of astrophysics.

4. Can white holes be used for time travel?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that white holes can be used for time travel. While they have been theorized to have a strong repulsive force, it is not clear if this force would be strong enough to create a wormhole or any other means of time travel.

5. How do white holes fit into the laws of thermodynamics?

White holes are believed to follow the laws of thermodynamics, specifically the second law which states that entropy (disorder) in a closed system will always increase over time. This is because white holes emit thermal radiation, which increases the entropy of the system they are a part of.