Exploring the Potential of Electric Jet Engines for Future Flight

• Thread starter 1oldman2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the conversation discussed the development of electric aircraft by NASA and the potential challenges with using electric engines in larger passenger planes. It was mentioned that while the technology may not be suitable for all-electric jetliners, it could potentially be incorporated into smaller aircraft in the future. The main issue with electric aircraft is the energy density of batteries, which limits their range. However, there is ongoing research and development to improve this technology. The conversation also touched on the efficiency and potential of using electric arcs to heat air in an electric jet engine.
1oldman2
I came across this item today, the concept sounds very interesting, however the "electric jet engine" may be a while in development. o_O
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/features/X-57_fuselage_arrives.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/science/nasa-electric-plane-x57.html
The steps taken by NASA will not translate into all-electric cross-
country jetliners. But the agency hopes the technology can be
incorporated into smaller, general aviation and commuter aircraft some
years from now.

quoting Sean Clarke of NASA's Armstong flight research center, "I think all-electric would be a stretch for jetliners,"

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are experimenting with reducing power requirements ... this is a concept aircraft (prob not even that far along) only.
The main issue with electric aircraft is the energy dencity: batteries are heavy for the amount of energy they can store, so electric aircraft have issues with range.
Still ... it's the sort of thing to expect as fossil fuels increase in price down the track.

Likes 1oldman2
Simon Bridge said:
The main issue with electric aircraft is the energy dencity: batteries are heavy for the amount of energy they can store, so electric aircraft have issues with range.
It will be interesting to see what developments come from this, in electrical storage as well as aircraft materials/design. I did notice all the E-aircraft seem limited to about one hour of flight time, that will change as R&D keeps chipping away at the issues involved.
Simon Bridge said:
Still ... it's the sort of thing to expect as fossil fuels increase in price down the track.
This as well as emissions and noise pollution are very high on the list of driving factors behind the programs in everything I've read so far.
I'm still trying to figure out if I've missed something where the terms "electric and jet" get used, I can't reconcile the notion of a jet engine(which to me is combustion) and electric motors, It seems writers are using the term jet as a euphemism for any larger passenger aircraft rather than one specifically powered by a jet engine (or possibly turbine over electric ?). One things certain these programs are going to be keeping a lot of engineers busy for the foreseeable future.
Here is another write up from a couple of years ago. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/impossible-electric-airplane-takes-flight/
A series of lithium-ion batteries fitted into the wings of the plane are the
sole power source for the E-Fan's two 30-kilowatt electric motors. A 6
kW electric motor in the main wheel provides extra power during
acceleration and taxiing to reduce electrical power consumption on the
ground.

But despite its highly energy efficient design, the E-Fan only has a
one-hour range, which means it cannot leave the vicinity of an airport.
To combat range anxiety, the plane is outfitted with a backup battery for
landing purposes and a parachute that can be deployed as high as 2,000
feet.

"We're trying this. It's not to enter the business of small aircraft," Botti
said. "It's to learn to make a new business."

Airbus Group's ultimate goal is to make a 70- to 80-person hybrid-
electric commuter jet with three hours of range in the 2050 time frame.
Initial designs of the E-Thrust aircraft show the plane with six electric-
powered fans that will be powered by a gas-fueled energy storage unit
during the ascent and cruise phase and then glide using electric power
alone while descending.

You can use an electric arc to heat air in an electric jet engine.

Likes 1oldman2
Simon Bridge said:
You can use an electric arc to heat air in an electric jet engine.
Interesting concept, I haven't come across that, thanks. I'm curious about such a systems efficiency, can you recommend any sites or articles that would be available on the subject ?

No idea... i imagine it is as good as mixing fuel and air in terms of getting requisite expansion.
The main issue being the energy density of the source.

Likes 1oldman2

Related to Exploring the Potential of Electric Jet Engines for Future Flight

1. What is electric Xplane development?

Electric Xplane development refers to the process of creating an electric aircraft capable of vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL). This type of aircraft would use electric motors instead of traditional jet engines, making it more environmentally friendly and potentially more efficient.

2. Why is there a focus on electric Xplane development?

There is a growing interest in developing electric aircraft due to the potential benefits they offer, including reduced emissions and noise pollution, as well as lower operating costs. Electric Xplanes in particular have the potential to revolutionize transportation and make air travel more sustainable.

3. What are the challenges in developing electric Xplanes?

One of the main challenges in electric Xplane development is the limited energy density of current battery technology. This means that electric Xplanes have a limited range and may not be able to carry as much weight as traditional aircraft. Additionally, there are technical challenges in designing and integrating multiple electric motors for VTOL capabilities.

4. What progress has been made in electric Xplane development?

There have been several successful test flights of electric Xplanes, such as the Vertical Aerospace Seraph and the Lilium Jet. Companies and organizations are also investing in and researching new battery technologies and alternative power sources to overcome the challenges of electric Xplane development.

5. When can we expect to see electric Xplanes in commercial use?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for commercial use of electric Xplanes, as it depends on the advancements in technology and regulations. However, some companies have announced plans to launch commercial electric Xplanes by the mid to late 2020s. It is likely that we will see more electric Xplanes being used for short-haul flights and in urban areas in the near future.