Exploring the Potential of Flattened Disks: F.I. Cooperstock, S. Tieu

• Thread starter ek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, authors F.I. Cooperstock and S. Tieu discuss their research on modeling galaxies as stationary axially symmetric pressure-free fluids in general relativity. Their findings show that for weak gravitational fields, the rotation curves of several galaxies are consistent with the mass density distributions of visible matter in flattened disks. This eliminates the need for a massive halo of exotic dark matter. The authors also determine the mass density for the luminous threshold in these galaxies. Overall, this research has important implications for our understanding of the structure and composition of galaxies. The author of the post on Physics Forums asks for thoughts on the research and its conclusions.
ek
Authors: F. I. Cooperstock, S. Tieu

A galaxy is modeled as a stationary axially symmetric pressure-free fluid in general relativity. For the weak gravitational fields under consideration, the field equations and the equations of motion ultimately lead to one linear and one nonlinear equation relating the angular velocity to the fluid density. It is shown that the rotation curves for the Milky Way, NGC 3031, NGC 3198 and NGC 7331 are consistent with the mass density distributions of the visible matter concentrated in flattened disks. Thus the need for a massive halo of exotic dark matter is removed. For these galaxies we determine the mass density for the luminous threshold as 10^{-21.75} kg.m$^{-3}.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0507619

It's authoured by a cosmologist at my school. It's a little heady for me but I thought some here could take something from it and its very important conclusion, so I thought I'd share it.

Thoughts? Total BS? Maybe onto something?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

FAQ: Exploring the Potential of Flattened Disks: F.I. Cooperstock, S. Tieu

1. What is the significance of flattened disks in scientific research?

Flattened disks have been studied for their potential to reveal insights into the dynamics and formation of galaxies, as well as their role in the evolution of the universe.

2. Who are F.I. Cooperstock and S. Tieu?

F.I. Cooperstock and S. Tieu are astrophysicists and researchers who have published numerous studies and papers on the topic of flattened disks and their implications in the field of astrophysics.

3. What techniques were used in the study of flattened disks by Cooperstock and Tieu?

The researchers used a combination of theoretical modeling and observational data from telescopes to study the properties and behavior of flattened disks.

4. What did the research by Cooperstock and Tieu reveal about flattened disks?

Their research showed that flattened disks can provide valuable information about the distribution of dark matter in galaxies, as well as the influence of black holes on the structure of galaxies.

5. What are the potential implications of the findings on flattened disks?

Their findings could potentially lead to a better understanding of the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as provide insights into the nature of dark matter and the role it plays in the universe.