Exploring the Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate from ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate using differential equations. It is shown that solving for t and setting the equations equal is allowed and results in a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K). However, it is important to note that the constants c and k may change when solving for t and setting the equations equal. The conversation also mentions the possibility of dividing the equations to eliminate the variable dt, but this may not always result in a power law relationship.
schaefera
I'm trying to find a power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate, given that each of these quantities is defined by a differential equation.

Assuming dM/dt=a*M(t) and dR/dt=b*R(t), where M(t) is mass and R(t) is metabolic rate, I know that I can solve each of these equations to get:
M(t)=c*exp[at] and R(t)=k*exp[bt].

Here is where the first part of my question comes in: Let's say I try to solve both of these for t, and then set them equal to each other. Then I end up with a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K) where C and K are different constants than before, but that's not really important. Is solving for t and setting equal allowed? I'm not sure if I'm looking at a specific time where the two equations are equal in this case, but I can't think of any other way to get rid of the variable.

Otherwise, I would think of dividing the two equations and getting M(t)/R(t)=h*exp[(a-b)t] where h is, again, a new constant that is unimportant. In this case, M=h*R*exp[(a-b)t]... which is different than when I eliminate t.

In either case, I don't see a power law relationship! These are exponential, and not power law, equations unless I'm very mistaken. How can I get to the final product to see the power law in play?

Physics news on Phys.org
schaefera said:
Assuming dM/dt=a*M(t) and dR/dt=b*R(t), where M(t) is mass and R(t) is metabolic rate, I know that I can solve each of these equations to get:
M(t)=c*exp[at] and R(t)=k*exp[bt].

Let's say I try to solve both of these for t, and then set them equal to each other. Then I end up with a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K) where C and K are different constants than before,
Looks to me that c and k are the same as before, but a and b are inverted.
Is solving for t and setting equal allowed?
Seems good to me. Why do you think it's invalid? You want to know the relationship between M and R at each given value of t.
I don't see a power law relationship!
You don't?
a*ln(M/C)=b*ln(R/K)
ln((M/C)a)=ln((R/K) b)
(M/C)a=(R/K) b

Thank you so much! Silly me- I was exponentiating both sides without bringing the constants into the log.

I was unsure about solving for t because it seemed like I'm setting the two sides equal to each other for all t while they might not always be equal.

Just divide one differential equation by the other to eliminate the dt.

I would like to commend you on your exploration of the relationship between mass and metabolic rate using differential equations. It is important to understand the underlying mathematical principles behind any relationship in order to fully comprehend its behavior and implications.

In response to your first question, solving for t and setting the equations equal to each other is a valid approach. However, this method may not provide a clear understanding of the power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate. Instead, I would suggest looking at the ratio of the two equations, as you have mentioned in your second approach. This will give you a better understanding of how the two quantities are related to each other.

In terms of finding a power law relationship, it is important to note that the power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate is not a direct result of the differential equations themselves, but rather an observation of the behavior of these quantities in biological systems. Therefore, it may be helpful to gather data from various biological systems and analyze it using regression techniques to determine the power law relationship between mass and metabolic rate.

Additionally, it is possible that the power law relationship may not hold for all biological systems, as there are many factors that can influence metabolic rate, such as age, activity level, and environmental conditions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of the power law relationship in your analysis.

In summary, while solving the differential equations and finding a power law relationship may not be a straightforward process, it is a valuable exercise in understanding the underlying principles and behavior of mass and metabolic rate in biological systems. I encourage you to continue your exploration and to consider gathering and analyzing data to further support your findings.

Related to Exploring the Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate from ODE

1) What is the Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate?

The Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate is a mathematical relationship that describes how an organism's metabolic rate (the rate at which it consumes energy) is related to its body mass. This relationship states that an organism's metabolic rate increases as its body mass increases, but at a slower rate than its body mass.

2) What is ODE in relation to this study?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equation. In this study, ODE is used as a mathematical model to describe the relationship between mass and metabolic rate. It takes into account the change in metabolism as an organism's body mass changes.

3) How is this study relevant to biology and ecology?

This study is relevant to biology and ecology because it helps us understand how an organism's body size affects its metabolic rate. This information can be used to better understand the energy requirements of different species and how they interact with their environment. It can also provide insights into the evolution and adaptation of different species.

4) What are the potential applications of this study?

The Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate has potential applications in various fields such as medicine, agriculture, and conservation. It can be used to predict the energy requirements of different species, which can be useful in designing diets for animals in captivity or understanding the effects of climate change on different species.

5) What are some limitations of this study?

Some limitations of this study include the assumption that all organisms follow the same Power Law Relationship between Mass and Metabolic Rate, which may not be accurate for all species. Additionally, the ODE model used is a simplification of the complex metabolic processes that occur in living organisms. The study also does not take into account other factors that may influence an organism's metabolic rate, such as activity level and environmental conditions.