Exploring the Relationship between Mass and Time in Relativity Theory

• Thread starter Gabrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between mass and time, specifically in the context of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It is mentioned that in relativity, the mass of a particle can change depending on its location in a gravitational field and its velocity, and this is linked to time dilation effects. A student of Fred Hoyle is mentioned to have solved the field equations for particle masses as a function of time, and it is stated that the invariant mass of an object in General Relativity remains constant regardless of its velocity or gravitational field.
Gabrell
I wanted to respond to an older post but it was closed...so perhaps it can be revisited?

It was asked if someone could shed light on any and all relationships between mass and time? A known theory or even an alternative.

It was responded to as not knowing of such relation in classical mechanics or quantum mechanics. However in relativity the mass of a particle depends on the location the particle is in a gravitational field and on the particles velocity. These alterations in mass are directly attributable to time dilation effects. i.e. time dilation and mass changes are one in the same phenomena.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@<-----snail stampede!

If I had been around at the time...this would have been my post:

Jayant Narlikar, a student of Fred Hoyle, solved the field equations for particle masses as a function of time... m=m(t)...which in flat space are simply conservation of energy/momentum which requires that elementary particles to gain mass as m=t^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you're talking about. To my knowledge the invariant mass of an object in General Relativity is always the same, no matter the velocity it travels at or the gravitational field it is in. The mass of the object determines the amount of curvature that spacetime experiences around it, and thus the gravity around it.

Related to Exploring the Relationship between Mass and Time in Relativity Theory

What is mass and how is it measured?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is measured in units of kilograms (kg). There are various methods for measuring mass, such as using a balance or a scale.

What is time and how is it measured?

Time is a measure of the duration of events. It is measured in units of seconds (s). Time can be measured using devices such as clocks or hourglasses.

How are mass and time related?

Mass and time are both fundamental physical quantities and are related through the concept of inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion, and it is directly proportional to an object's mass and the amount of time it experiences a force.

How does mass affect the flow of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy can distort the fabric of space-time, which affects the flow of time. Objects with larger masses have a greater effect on the warping of space-time and therefore can experience time differently than objects with smaller masses.

Can mass and time be changed or manipulated?

Mass and time are fundamental physical quantities that cannot be changed or manipulated. However, the effects of mass and time can be altered by other factors, such as velocity or gravity, which can cause changes in the perception of time and the behavior of objects with mass.