Exploring the Three Forms of Heat: Radiation, Convection, and Conduction

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, heat does not have three forms. Radiation, convection, and conduction are ways in which heat is transferred. Convection involves hot fluid motion on a macroscopic scale, while conduction involves molecular vibration and radiation involves photons traveling at the speed of light. Evaporation is also a form of convection.
Stratosphere
If heat has three forms ,radiation, convection and conduction, isn't convection another form of conduction? The heat is still moving through the vibration of the atoms convection would just be the pattern at which it is moving in. Another question is how does the heat from the sun radiate to earth?

Science news on Phys.org
Heat doesn't have three forms. Radiation, convection and conduction are ways in which heat is transferred.

As for your second question I think you've already answered it. There are three ways heat is transferred: radiation, convection, and conduction. Well what did you say the sun does? It radiates heat, get it?

Convection involves hot fluid motion on a macroscopic scale (air or water currents). Conduction involves molecular vibration transmitting energy by interactions within the material (usually solid). Radiation heat transfer is by photons going from hot body (such as sun) to cooler body (such as earth).

The heat is still moving through the vibration of the atoms convection would just be the pattern at which it is moving in.

The pattern makes all the difference. Specifically convection occurs due to fluid velocities which is what is left over after a sort of macroscopic averaging over microscopic movements in a volume that is small compared to the system size but still large compared to the atomic size, while conduction is entirely due to those microscopic movements that convection averages away.

heat doesn't have three forms. Radiation, convection and conduction are ways in which heat is transferred.

To be totally pedantic, radiation, convection, and conduction are three ways of 'doing heat on a thermal system' (compare with 'doing work on a mechanical system').

For a very nice PF Library entry on Heat, click on the underlined "heat" word in the original post.

Just some added thoughts already expressed:

Conduction and convection requires some form of medium; be it air, water, metal, etc...

Radiation is different. A specific physical medium is not required. It can occur in a complete vacuum, for example.

To simplify greatly, in convection atoms move about and take their heat energy with them. In conduction atoms vibrate and collide with other atoms transferring kinetic energy to them, which is what thermal energy really is. In radiation atoms emit photons which travel outward at c until the collide with something else and then add energy to it.

Edit: Thanks mathman, fixed it.

Last edited:
DaleSwanson said:
To simplify greatly, in conduction atoms move about and take their heat energy with them. In conduction atoms vibrate and collide with other atoms transferring kinetic energy to them, which is what thermal energy really is. In radiation atoms emit photons which travel outward at c until the collide with something else and then add energy to it.

I think you meant to say convention in the first sentence.

mathman said:

I think you meant to say convection. :)

Don't forget evaporation etc.

mathman said:

Archosaur said:
I think you meant to say convection. :)

You say that with such conviction. :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:
You say that with such conviction. :biggrin:

Let's not make this into a huge conniption. :-p

Hey, that was my 100th post!

Good thing I didn't waste it...

Dadface said:
Don't forget evaporation etc.

Is evaporation a kind of convection? If I threw a dollop of molten lead into a vat of water to warm it up, wouldn't that be convection, too?

Related to Exploring the Three Forms of Heat: Radiation, Convection, and Conduction

1. What is the difference between radiation, convection, and conduction?

Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between materials.

2. How does heat travel through radiation?

Heat travels through radiation by electromagnetic waves, such as infrared radiation. These waves do not require a medium to travel and can transfer heat through empty space.

3. What is an example of convection?

An example of convection is boiling water. The heat from the stove causes the water at the bottom of the pot to become less dense and rise, while the cooler water at the top sinks and is heated, creating a convection current.

4. How does conduction work in solids?

Conduction in solids occurs when heat is transferred through direct contact between molecules. The molecules with higher energy vibrate and collide with neighboring molecules, transferring heat energy.

5. What is the main source of radiation heat on Earth?

The main source of radiation heat on Earth is the Sun. The Sun emits electromagnetic waves, including infrared radiation, which is responsible for most of the heat on Earth.