Exploring the "Winner Breaks" Rule in Pool Games

• Thread starter techmologist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the "winner breaks" rule in pool games gives the winner of a game the advantage of breaking in the next game. This allows for the possibility of "breaking and running" and gaining control of the game. In a long series of games, the fraction of games won is likely to approach a certain value, and this is the same as the fraction of games where the player is breaking. This process can be seen as a tautology, as the winner of the previous game will always be the one breaking in the next game.
techmologist
Many pool games, like 8-ball and 9-ball, are played with the "winner breaks" rule. That is, winning a game gives you the right to break (make the opening shot) in the next game. Players usually flip a coin or lag to decide who breaks on the first game. For decent players, getting the break can be a real advantage, because they can sometimes "break and run", winning the game in one turn. And if not, they still may be able to gain control of the game by leaving their opponent a difficult shot. This amounts to saying that the probability r of winning the game on your break is greater than the probability s of winning the game on your opponent's break.

The winner breaks rule means that a series of games is not very well modeled as a series of independent bernoulli trials. The outcomes of games i and j are not independent, although their dependence gets smaller as |j-i| increases. It would seem that in a very long series of games, the fraction of games you win would very likely approach some value f. This sounds like a law of large numbers claim, but it isn't immediately obvious to me how you would prove it. The fraction of games that you win is also the fraction of games where you are breaking, so

f = f*r + (1-f)*s

f = s/(s+1-r)

I think this is the probability of interest when deciding what the odds are that player A wins a long match against player B, say a race to 9 or 11 games. Of course, that assumes you have some way of knowing r and s.

Is there a name for this kind of process, where there are two different success probabilities, r and s, one applying when the previous trial was successful and the other when it failed?

Physics news on Phys.org
techmologist said:
The fraction of games that you win is also the fraction of games where you are breaking

If this statement were true, whoever broke first would win all of the games.

Borg said:
If this statement were true, whoever broke first would win all of the games.

Okay, my statement was a little ambiguous. I didn't mean by that that you win every game where you break, just that the fractions of games won and games where you broke are the same. For every game where you break, there is a game that you won, namely the previous game. They are in a one to one correspondence, except for the very first game. But the first game doesn't affect the fraction in an infinite series of games.

techmologist said:
Okay, my statement was a little ambiguous. I didn't mean by that that you win every game where you break, just that the fractions of games won and games where you broke are the same. For every game where you break, there is a game that you won, namely the previous game. They are in a one to one correspondence, except for the very first game. But the first game doesn't affect the fraction in an infinite series of games.

If it's a rule that the winner of a game gets to break the next game in some sequence, then it seems this is a tautology after the first game.

Last edited:

I find this topic of exploring the "winner breaks" rule in pool games quite interesting. It raises questions about the probability of winning a game based on the break and how this rule affects the overall outcome of a series of games.

Firstly, the concept of the winner breaks rule challenges the assumption of independent Bernoulli trials in a series of games. This means that the outcome of one game is not independent of the previous game, as the winner of the previous game has an advantage in the next game. This dependence decreases as the gap between games increases, but it is still a factor to consider.

Secondly, the probability of winning a game on your break (r) is greater than the probability of winning on your opponent's break (s). This suggests that getting the break can be a significant advantage for skilled players, as they have a higher chance of winning the game in one turn or gaining control of the game.

Furthermore, the equation provided in the content, f = s/(s+1-r), shows the relationship between the fraction of games won (f) and the probabilities of winning on your break (r) and your opponent's break (s). This equation can be useful in predicting the odds of winning a long match between two players, assuming we know the values of r and s.

In terms of a name for this type of process, I am not aware of a specific term for it. However, it can be seen as a type of Markov chain, where the probability of transitioning from one state (winning on your break) to another state (winning on your opponent's break) depends on the previous state.

Overall, exploring the "winner breaks" rule in pool games can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of the game and the impact of this rule on the outcome of a series of games. Further research and analysis could be done to better understand this phenomenon and potentially apply it to other areas of study.

Related to Exploring the "Winner Breaks" Rule in Pool Games

1. What is the "Winner Breaks" rule in pool games?

The "Winner Breaks" rule in pool games means that the player who wins a game gets to break (take the first shot) in the next game.

2. Why is the "Winner Breaks" rule used in pool games?

The "Winner Breaks" rule is used in pool games to increase the chances of a player winning multiple games in a row, creating a more challenging and competitive environment.

3. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for utilizing the "Winner Breaks" rule in pool games?

Yes, there are various strategies and techniques that players can use to their advantage when playing with the "Winner Breaks" rule. Some players may choose to play more conservatively in the first game in order to secure the break in the next game, while others may try to take more risks in order to maintain their momentum.

4. Does the "Winner Breaks" rule have any impact on the overall outcome of a pool game?

Yes, the "Winner Breaks" rule can have a significant impact on the outcome of a pool game. Since the player who breaks has the first opportunity to pocket a ball, they have a higher chance of winning the game. This can create a snowball effect, as the player who wins the first game also has the advantage of breaking in the next game.

5. Are there any variations of the "Winner Breaks" rule in pool games?

Yes, there are some variations of the "Winner Breaks" rule that may be used in different pool games or by different players. For example, some players may choose to switch to "Loser Breaks" after a certain number of games in order to give the losing player a better chance at catching up. Additionally, some games may have alternate rules for breaking, such as taking turns breaking regardless of who wins the previous game.