Exploring Time-Independent Force in QM

In summary, the conversation is about the definition of the force operator in QM, specifically in the Heisenberg picture. The force operator is usually written as the commutator of momentum and Hamiltonian, but there is also another term involving the derivative of the operator itself. The question is raised about the time-independence of this force, and it is clarified that the second term should be the derivative of momentum, not the operator. It is also mentioned that the velocity is not necessarily time-independent, but it is only non-zero if the operator has an explicit time dependence. Ultimately, it is concluded that the last term is zero.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

In QM we define the force operator F as (in the Heisenberg picture)
[tex]
F = \frac{1}{i\hbar}[p, H] + (d_t F)(t)
[/tex]
What I can't understand is that usually (actually, always) we write
[tex]
F = \frac{1}{i\hbar}[p, H]
[/tex]
and neglegt the last time derivative. How can we be so certain that the force is time-independent?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

In QM we define the force operator F as (in the Heisenberg picture)
[tex]
F = \frac{1}{i\hbar}[p, H] + (d_t F)(t)
[/tex]
Shouldn't the second term be the derivative of p, not F?
What I can't understand is that usually (actually, always) we write
[tex]
F = \frac{1}{i\hbar}[p, H]
[/tex]
and neglegt the last time derivative. How can we be so certain that the force is time-independent?

Niles.

You are right, it is the derivative of p. But the velocity is not necessarily time-independent?

You're looking about the derivative of the operator itself, not the derivative of the momentum of the particle. Second, ∂p/∂t ≠ 0 only if the operator has an explicit time dependence.

You are right, thanks for that. In that case it is obvious that the last term is zero.Niles.

Related to Exploring Time-Independent Force in QM

1. What is the concept of time-independent force in QM?

Time-independent force in quantum mechanics refers to a type of force that does not change with time. This means that the force acting on a system remains constant and does not depend on the specific time at which it is measured. In other words, it is a force that is not affected by the passage of time.

2. How is time-independent force different from time-dependent force?

Time-independent force is different from time-dependent force in that time-dependent force changes with time. This means that the force acting on a system varies over time and can have different magnitudes and directions at different points in time. In contrast, time-independent force remains constant regardless of when it is measured.

3. What are some examples of time-independent forces in quantum mechanics?

Examples of time-independent forces in quantum mechanics include gravitational forces, electrostatic forces, and magnetic forces. These forces do not change with time and are therefore considered to be time-independent.

4. How does the concept of time-independent force relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its wave function. Time-independent forces are incorporated into the Schrödinger equation as potential energy terms, which do not vary with time. This allows for the calculation of the system's wave function and its corresponding energy levels.

5. Why is the study of time-independent forces important in quantum mechanics?

Understanding time-independent forces is crucial in quantum mechanics because it allows for the prediction and control of a system's behavior. By knowing the time-independent forces acting on a system, we can accurately calculate its energy levels and make predictions about its future behavior. This knowledge is essential for many applications in science and technology, such as the development of new materials and technologies based on quantum mechanics principles.

Back