Exploring Transcendental Functions: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter logan3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: The book "Modern Analysis" by Whittaker and Watson is a standard treatment of transcendental functions. Erdelyi wrote a three volume set called "Higher Transcendental Functions" which is quite comprehensive.
logan3
Is there a book that just goes over transcendental functions, from their introduction to advanced use? I'm looking for some more experience with thinking about the functions and gaining some insight into their deep relationships. Thank-you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which transcendental functions in particular?

All of them. But I'll take what I can get.

Whittaker and Watson's "Modern Analysis" is a standard treatment. For even more depth, Erdelyi wrote a three volume set called "Higher Transcendental Functions" that is quite comprehensive.

i think lebedev had one also, on special functions

Special functions is a name given to the other functions than the so-called elementary ones. A direct connection to the <transcendental> attribute cannot be made, since there are elementary functions which are transcendental and special functions which are not (i.e. are algebraic, for example the orthogonal polynomials).

whoops, I thought they were just different names for the same class of functions :blushing:

No, actually the subject of special functions is the part of mathematics I like most. Most of the known special functions are particular cases of general hypergeometric functions, especially Gauß ones.

As to the overall value, the 4th (latest, IIRC) edition of Whittaker & Watson should be the gem which would benefit the OP, so I 2nd the reccomendation.

Thank-you so much for the help. I think the Whittaker/Watson book looks very good. Thank-you.

Whittaker and Watson is now old enough that legal electronic copies can be found online for free:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=183

A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).

Note that some of the modern "cheap" printings of this book are terrible - they are literally printouts of this electronic copy (which has some pages that are not scanned well). I bought this one and immediately returned it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1438513909/?tag=pfamazon01-20

So if you want a hardcopy getting a used copy of an old printing seems to be the way to go. They can be found for cheap, too.

enjoy,

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
<A reader for that book format can be found for free online (don't remember what it is called).>

One can find sources for downloading here http://djvu.org/resources/

FAQ: Exploring Transcendental Functions: A Comprehensive Guide

1. What are transcendental functions?

Transcendental functions are mathematical functions that cannot be expressed as a finite combination of algebraic operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples of transcendental functions include trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.

2. Why is it important to study transcendental functions?

Transcendental functions play a crucial role in many fields of science and engineering. They are used to model natural phenomena, such as the movement of waves, the growth of populations, and the decay of radioactive materials. They also have practical applications in fields like signal processing, computer graphics, and financial analysis.

3. What are some common properties of transcendental functions?

One common property of transcendental functions is that they are continuous, meaning that they have no sudden jumps or breaks in their graphs. Another property is that they are typically infinitely differentiable, meaning that their derivatives can be calculated at any point. Additionally, transcendental functions often have periodic behavior, meaning that they repeat themselves at regular intervals.

4. How do transcendental functions differ from algebraic functions?

Unlike transcendental functions, algebraic functions can be expressed using a finite combination of algebraic operations. Algebraic functions also have a finite number of solutions, while transcendental functions can have an infinite number of solutions. Additionally, the graphs of transcendental functions tend to be more complex and varied than those of algebraic functions.

5. What are some strategies for solving equations involving transcendental functions?

There are several strategies for solving equations involving transcendental functions, depending on the specific function and equation. Some common methods include using numerical approximations, finding graphical solutions, and using properties of logarithms and exponential functions to simplify the equation. In some cases, it may also be possible to use trigonometric identities or substitution to solve the equation.