Exploring Vector Field Line Integrals: A Sample Final Exam Problem

In summary: It's a trick you can use to show some definite integrals are related. It's not much of a general technique. Why not apply Stoke's theorem?
destroyer130
This problem is about Line integral of Vector Field. I believe the equation i need to use is:

[itex]\int[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]F.r'dt, with r = r(t)

I try to solve it like this:
C1: r1= < 1 - t , 3t , 0 >
C2: r2= < 0 , 3 - 3t , t >
C3: r3= < t , 0 , 1 - t >

After some computation, I got stuck at the part that have 2 Gaussian Integrals!

[itex]\int[/itex](t from 0 -> 1) [-3t + 3t^2 + e^(t^2) - e^[(t-1)^2]]dt

I see the answer is 1/2. I check my integrals and observe somehow these 2 Gaussian either cancel out or both equals 0, but I just have no clue how to show it. Another idea I could think of is that there is other way to solve this problem without involving doing those integrals.

Thanks for checking out my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
destroyer130 said:
This problem is about Line integral of Vector Field. I believe the equation i need to use is:

[itex]\int[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]F.r'dt, with r = r(t)

I try to solve it like this:
C1: r1= < 1 - t , 3t , 0 >
C2: r2= < 0 , 3 - 3t , t >
C3: r3= < t , 0 , 1 - t >

After some computation, I got stuck at the part that have 2 Gaussian Integrals!

[itex]\int[/itex](t from 0 -> 1) [-3t + 3t^2 + e^(t^2) - e^[(t-1)^2]]dt

I see the answer is 1/2. I check my integrals and observe somehow these 2 Gaussian either cancel out or both equals 0, but I just have no clue how to show it. Another idea I could think of is that there is other way to solve this problem without involving doing those integrals.

Thanks for checking out my problem.

Yes, you can show they cancel. Take the integral of e^[(1-t)^2] and apply the substitution u=1-t.

Dick said:
Yes, you can show they cancel. Take the integral of e^[(1-t)^2] and apply the substitution u=1-t.

Wow i didn't know that there's such technique. This is from my sample final exam about Vector Integral. Could you look at the problem i attached and tell me if there's any other way that didn't have to go through that Gaussian Integrals? Thanks a lot Dick!

problem.jpg

destroyer130 said:
Wow i didn't know that there's such technique. This is from my sample final exam about Vector Integral. Could you look at the problem i attached and tell me if there's any other way that didn't have to go through that Gaussian Integrals? Thanks a lot Dick!

View attachment 53941

It's a trick you can use to show some definite integrals are related. It's not much of a general technique. Why not apply Stoke's theorem?

FAQ: Exploring Vector Field Line Integrals: A Sample Final Exam Problem

1. What is a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field is a mathematical concept that calculates the total change of a scalar function along a specified path in a vector field. It involves taking the dot product of the vector field with a differential element along the path.

2. How is a line integral of a vector field calculated?

To calculate a line integral of a vector field, the path must be parameterized and the vector field must be evaluated at each point along the path. The dot product of the vector field and the differential element is then integrated over the entire path to find the total change in the scalar function.

3. What is the significance of a line integral of a vector field?

A line integral of a vector field has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating work done by a force, finding the center of mass of a system, and determining the flow of a fluid. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a vector field along a specific path.

4. Can a line integral of a vector field be negative?

Yes, a line integral of a vector field can be negative. This happens when the vector field and the differential element are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. This indicates that there is a decrease in the scalar function along the path.

5. What are the different types of line integrals of vector fields?

There are two types of line integrals of vector fields: path integrals and surface integrals. Path integrals are calculated along a curve or path in the vector field, while surface integrals are calculated over a surface in the vector field. Both types have different formulas and applications in mathematics and physics.