Exploring Wave-Particle Duality of Light: A Theory

In summary, light exists in a single form at the quantum level: as photons. These objects have both particle-like and wave-like behavior, but this is due to their quantum nature and cannot be explained using classical concepts. Despite this, we have been able to create successful theories, such as quantum electrodynamics, that accurately describe light using math. Light does not have a physical shape or form, similar to how an electron does not have a size but still has mass.
ronjanec
Sometimes light exists in the form of a wave and sometimes light exists in the form of a particle or wave/particle duality. Light existing in two completely different forms does not make sense to me but the experiments have proved this right? I have a theory that light is actually a stream of particles/photons moving in a wavelike up and down pattern that would prove wave/particle duality true in one existing form that I could believe in.

The particles are moving so fast they appear to us as a wave and the experiments that prove light is a particle are misleading in that they destroy the wave. Any comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
ronjanec said:
Light existing in two completely different forms does not make sense to me

At the quantum level, light exists in a single form: as photons, which are quantum-mechanical objects described by the theory of quantum electrodynamics (QED). Some aspects of their behavior are particle-like and others are wave-like, but it all comes from the same mathematical description.

jtbell: What do you personally think of my theory? Do you think I could be right about this? I am kind of saying what you are saying or believe that light is a stream of photon particles at the quantum level making up a wave?

You are missing the point: "waves" and "particles" are classical concepts and light is purely a quantum mechanical phenomena (albeit one that can often be well described by classical equation like Maxwell's equation); there is no such thing as "classical light". If you want an accurate description of light you need to use quantum electrodynamics(QED)

Hence, it is not possible to explain what light is using concepts that "make sense" to us; light is -just as most quantum phenomena- simply very weird.
Fortunately this does not stop us from formulating very successful theories that can describe light (i.e. predict the outcome of experiments) using math.
Quantum electrodynamics is a very good theory and is -as far as we know- the "whole truth" about light (as long as gravity is not involved).

Nowadays we can do all sort of funny things with photons in the lab, see e.g.
http://focus.aps.org/story/v22/st8

Ok but what shape or form does the light in my office exist in? It has to have some physical shape or form if light exists and moves around?

ronjanec said:
Ok but what shape or form does the light in my office exist in? It has to have some physical shape or form if light exists and moves around?

What shape or form is the water that you drink?

Zz.

I remember seeing a theoretical illustration of Einstein running alongside a beam of light and the light in this example was in the form of a wave? Are you both trying to tell me that light does not have any shape or form whatsoever?

Shape and form are to a large extent classical concepts.
Let me give you another example: The electron is -as far as we know- a point particle; i.e. it does not have a size (zero volume) but it still has mass.
Hence, it would obviously be wrong to attribute a "shape" to an electron.
But -and this is the important part- even though no one can really "visualize" an electron this does not stop us from describing it mathematically, the same is true for light.

FAQ: Exploring Wave-Particle Duality of Light: A Theory

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that states that light and other particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties depending on how they are observed or measured.

2. How was the wave-particle duality of light discovered?

The wave-particle duality of light was first observed through the famous double-slit experiment conducted by Thomas Young in the early 1800s. This experiment showed that light behaved like a wave when passing through two narrow slits, but also exhibited particle-like behavior when observed on a screen behind the slits.

3. How does the wave-particle duality of light impact our understanding of the universe?

The wave-particle duality of light is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe. It has allowed us to better explain and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels, and has led to the development of important technologies such as lasers and transistors.

4. Can the wave-particle duality of light be applied to other types of particles?

Yes, the wave-particle duality of light has been observed in other types of particles such as electrons, protons, and even large molecules. This principle applies to all particles, regardless of their size or mass.

5. What are some practical applications of the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality of light has many practical applications in modern technology. For example, it is essential in the development of quantum computers and telecommunications, and is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI and PET scans. Additionally, the principles of wave-particle duality are used in the development of new materials and technologies in fields such as nanotechnology and photonics.