Exploring Wavelength Questions in Optics and Photoelectric Effect

• Thread starter t_n_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to light, refraction, and the photoelectric effect. The refracted angle changes when the color of the incident light is changed from green to red while keeping the angle of incidence constant. The speed of green light in glass can be determined using the formula n=c/v, where n is the index of refraction, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the medium. The conversation also mentions Snell's law and the photoelectric effect. The threshold wavelength for photoelectric emission in a metal with a work function of 3eV can be calculated using the formula hf = W, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of
t_n_p

Homework Statement

I've got a couple so I'm going to keep them all within this thread.

1) A ray of green light is incident in air on a flat glass surface, at an angle of 45 degrees measured from the normal. The glass has a refractive index of 1.4 for this green light.

(a) if the color of th eincident light is changed from green to red, the incident angle staying the same, will the refracted angle change? Explain
(b) What is the speed of the green light in the glass?

2) A certain metal has a work function of 3eV.
(a) What is the threshold wavelength to cause photoelectric emission in this metal?
(b) For a light of wavelength longer/shorter than the threshold, incident on this metal, what happens?

3) Sodium has a work function of 2.28eV. What is the kinetic energy of an electron ejected from sodium where it is illuminated by light of wavelength
(i) 410nm
(ii) 550nm

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics is far from my forte and I have a feeling 1b, 2b and 3 are all a matter of using a simple formula. However I was unable to find any relevant equations. I'm also unsure of the theory behind 1a and 2a so if somebody could explain that too it would be much appreciated! :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question look up Snell's law. For the others, start by looking up the Photoelectric Effect.

The only version of Snell's I am familiar with is this one:

f97a84e79cf42d848f659857ca5d0ffc.png

But I can't see how that's related to speed of light...

Last edited by a moderator:
For the speed part consider

n = c/v

where n is the index of refraction, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in a medium.

hage567 said:
For the speed part consider

n = c/v

where n is the index of refraction, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in a medium.

I knew it was something basic...:smile:

n=1.4, c=3*10^8

hence v=214285714.3m/s

for question 3 (ii) my value of hf is less than that of W, thus resulting in a negative value for Kinetic energy. Does this mean that the energy of the wavelength is not enough to overcome the work function of the metal and hence the electron is unable to leave the surface?

FAQ: Exploring Wavelength Questions in Optics and Photoelectric Effect

1. What is a wavelength?

A wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. It is typically measured in meters and is used to describe the size of a wave.

2. How is wavelength related to frequency?

Wavelength and frequency are inversely related. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. This includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. How do different wavelengths of light affect living organisms?

Different wavelengths of light have different effects on living organisms. For example, UV radiation can damage DNA and cause skin cancer, while visible light is necessary for photosynthesis in plants.

5. How do scientists measure wavelengths?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to measure wavelengths, depending on the type of wave being studied. For light waves, a spectrometer or a diffraction grating can be used to split the light into its component wavelengths, which can then be measured using a ruler or other measuring device.

Back