Exponential and Logarithmic Equations and Modeling Problems

In summary, In the homework equations 1 and 2, the half-life problem is to find logb((x2*z)/y3) after n=N0ek*t. For the halflife problem, remember the properties of logarithms and convert the expression into a simplified one involving only log(x) log(y) and log(z). Mark gave a helpful tip on how to solve these equations.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
Hello everyone! I have two precalculus problems that are from an assessment today that I had some great trouble with. I wrote the objectives below, followed by the problems themselves. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

1. Solve exponential and logarithmic equations when possible. For those that cannot be solved analytically, use graphic methods to find approximate solutions.

2. Explain how the parameters of an exponential or logarithmic model relate to the data set or situation being modeled. Find an exponential or logarithmic function to model a given data set or situation. Solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

Homework Equations

1. Given logbx=2, logby=3, and logbz=-2, find logb((x2*z)/y3)

2. The half-life of radium-226 is 1600 years. Suppose you have a 22mg sample. After how long will only 18mg of the sample remain?

The Attempt at a Solution

These were the two that I was completely stumped on. I do recall that the formula for half-lives is m(t)=m0e-n where r=ln2/h.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Remember the properties of logarithms.

for all x,y,n,
log(x^n) = n*log(x)
log(x*y)=log(x)+log(y)
log(x/y)=log(x)-log(y)

these should help you convert your expression into a simplified expression involving only log(x) log(y) and log(z).

2. Halflife means the number of years that it takes the substance to decompose to exactly half of its original mass. But of course the substance is not suddenly decompose in half. It's a continuous process.

Think of it this way. If your substance has half of its original mass, 1600 years have gone by. If it has a fourth of its original mass, another 1600 years have gone by. If you have (1/2)^n, 1600*n years have gone by. But n need not be an integer. In your problem, 18/22 of the original substance remains. For what real number n is 18/22 equal to (1/2)^n? If you know what the definition of logarithm is, you should know how to solve this.

So, if I'm correct, I need to sort of reverse the process...

logb((x2*z)/y3)

I'm really still pretty lost on this one. I've been working at this type of problem for hours. I don't want just the answer; I already had the quiz. However, the test is coming up and I need to know how to solve these.

The key thing throwing me off is how I'm supposed to plug in the values for the final equation. A step-by-step would really be great.

For the halflife problems, I think I have the solution and understand, but I'd appreciate if somebody could double-check my answer...

1600=(-ln(2))/k)
k=(-ln2)/1600
k=~-0.000433216988

N=N0ek*t
18=22*e-0.000433216988*t
t=~463.210587512

logb(x2*z/y3)=logb(x2)+ logbz-logb(y3)= 2logbx +logbz -3logby = 2*2+(-2)-3*3=-7.

You're right about the half-life problem.

Thank you for your help, grief!

jacksonpeeble said:
So, if I'm correct, I need to sort of reverse the process...

logb((x2*z)/y3)

I'm really still pretty lost on this one. I've been working at this type of problem for hours. I don't want just the answer; I already had the quiz. However, the test is coming up and I need to know how to solve these.

The key thing throwing me off is how I'm supposed to plug in the values for the final equation. A step-by-step would really be great.

For the halflife problems, I think I have the solution and understand, but I'd appreciate if somebody could double-check my answer...

1600=(-ln(2))/k)
k=(-ln2)/1600
k=~-0.000433216988

N=N0ek*t
18=22*e-0.000433216988*t
t=~463.210587512

Don't forget to include the units in your answer. Also, the data you were given only has two significant digits, so the extra precision in your approximation is unwarranted.

Mark44 said:
Don't forget to include the units in your answer. Also, the data you were given only has two significant digits, so the extra precision in your approximation is unwarranted.

Thanks for the tip, Mark. Oddly, this is for Honors Trigonometry and Precalculus, not Honors Chemistry, so we're supposed to round to three decimal places (AP standards). I do often forget to label, though, so thanks again!

Just to clarify, had it been Honors Chemistry, should I have rounded to two significant figures total, or two decimal places in?

jacksonpeeble said:
Thanks for the tip, Mark. Oddly, this is for Honors Trigonometry and Precalculus, not Honors Chemistry, so we're supposed to round to three decimal places (AP standards). I do often forget to label, though, so thanks again!

Just to clarify, had it been Honors Chemistry, should I have rounded to two significant figures total, or two decimal places in?

Two significant figures. The data you were given (22 mg, 18 mg, 1600 years) all had only two significant digits. If you're uncertain about significant figures, here's a Wikipedia article on this subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures
Mark

Related to Exponential and Logarithmic Equations and Modeling Problems

What is a logarithmic function?

A logarithmic function is a mathematical function that is the inverse of an exponential function. It is used to represent rapidly growing or decaying quantities, and is written in the form of y = logb(x), where b is the base of the logarithm.

How do you solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms, such as the product, quotient, and power rules, to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can solve for the variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

What is the difference between a logarithmic function and an exponential function?

The main difference between a logarithmic function and an exponential function is that a logarithmic function is the inverse of an exponential function. While an exponential function represents growth, a logarithmic function represents decay. Additionally, exponential functions have a positive base, while logarithmic functions can have any positive base.

What are the common uses of logarithmic functions?

Logarithmic functions have various applications in fields such as science, engineering, finance, and statistics. They are used to represent data that follows an exponential or decay pattern, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and sound intensity. They are also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and the calculation of pH levels in chemistry.

What is the domain and range of a logarithmic function?

The domain of a logarithmic function is all positive real numbers, while the range is all real numbers. This means that the input (x-values) can only be positive, and the output (y-values) can be any real number. However, some logarithmic functions may have restrictions on their domain, such as those with a base of 10 or a base of e.