Exponential Function: Is Infinity a Minimum?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether infinity can be considered a minimum value of the exponential function f(x)=ex. The participants agree that infinity is not a number in the real number system and therefore does not have a minimum value. Instead, as x approaches negative infinity, the exponential function approaches 0.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all

Is infinity a minimum of the exponential function f(x)=ex or not? I personally do not think so since it is a limit, but I wanted to ask you guys to be 100% sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably meant maximum, not minimum. Since infinity is not considered to be a number in the real number system, e^x does not have a maximum value.

Ahh, I meant minus infinity (-inf). Sorry, my bad. But I guess that -inf is not considered a number in the real number system as well, so it is not a minimum?

Right, but with regard to your original question, there is no minimum value for e^x. As x --> -infinity, e^x --> 0.

Related to Exponential Function: Is Infinity a Minimum?

1. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. This type of function grows or decays at a constant rate.

2. How does an exponential function approach infinity?

An exponential function approaches infinity as the value of the independent variable increases. This is because the value of the exponent grows larger and larger, causing the function to increase at an ever-increasing rate. However, it never actually reaches infinity, as it is an asymptote.

3. Is infinity a minimum or maximum for an exponential function?

Infinity is neither a minimum nor a maximum for an exponential function. This is because infinity is not a real number and therefore cannot be the highest or lowest point on a graph. However, the function can approach infinity as the independent variable increases.

4. How can we graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, we can plot a few points by choosing different values for the independent variable and calculating the corresponding values for the dependent variable. We can then connect these points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, we can use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the function.

5. Can an exponential function have a negative value?

Yes, an exponential function can have a negative value. This can occur if the base of the exponent is a fraction or if the function is reflected across the y-axis. However, as the independent variable increases, the function will eventually approach 0, but it will never actually reach a negative value.