Exponential of a large negative number

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the exponential of a large negative number and clarifies whether the logarithm should be a base 10 or natural log. It also questions the meaning of e raised to the zero and first power, as well as using the law of exponents to derive the formula.
Aadrych
Hi,

I read on a previous post that to calculate the exponential of a large negative number I use the formula:
e-r=10(-rloge)
This is just a quick question but it it meant to be a log 10 or natural log and also is it meant to be loge0 or loge1

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Aadrych said:
I read on a previous post that to calculate the exponential of a large negative number I use the formula:
e-r=10(-rloge)
This is just a quick question but it it meant to be a log 10 or natural log and also is it meant to be loge0 or loge1
What is e raised to the zero power? What is the natural log of that? What is the base 10 log of that? Would either interpretation make any sense?

What is e raised to the first power? What is the natural log of that? Would that interpretation make any sense?

Can you use the law of exponents, (ab)c = abc to derive the formula in question?

It should be obvious that if that were a natural logarithm, then ln(e) would be 1 and there would be no reason to write it!
I can see no reason to as if the "e" is [itex]e^0[/itex] or [itex]e^1[/itex]. Any number, a, by itself, is [itex]a^1[/itex]. Any number, including e, to the 0 power is 1.

FAQ: Exponential of a large negative number

What is the exponential of a large negative number?

The exponential of a large negative number is a mathematical operation that represents the value of a number raised to a power. In this case, the number is a large negative value.

How do you calculate the exponential of a large negative number?

To calculate the exponential of a large negative number, you can use a scientific calculator or a computer program. You can also use the formula ex = 1/(e-x), where e is the base of natural logarithms and x is the large negative number.

What happens when you take the exponential of a large negative number?

When you take the exponential of a large negative number, the result will be a very small positive number. This is because the exponent represents the number of times the base is multiplied by itself, so a large negative exponent means the base will be divided by itself multiple times, resulting in a small value.

Why is the exponential of a large negative number important?

The exponential of a large negative number is important in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It is used to model exponential decay, which is the gradual decrease of a quantity over time. It is also used in financial calculations, population growth models, and radioactive decay.

What are some real-life examples of the exponential of a large negative number?

Some real-life examples of the exponential of a large negative number include radioactive decay, where the amount of a radioactive substance decreases over time, and compound interest, where the interest earned on an investment decreases over time. Other examples include the spread of diseases, population decline, and the depreciation of assets.