Exponential rule on y = (1+x)^(1/x)

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, Fredrik said that the extended exponential rule can't be used to take the derivative of (1+x)^{1/x}. He showed me an alternate way to approach functions of this form, by rewriting them as linear functions.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

I am of the conclusion that, under any circumstance, the extended exponential rule can not be applied to (1+x)[itex]^{1/x}[/itex].

Thus, there is no way for the extended exponential rule to arise when taking the derivative of:

f(x) = (1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}}e^{x}[/itex]

For instance, if my first step for finding the derivative of this function was to apply the product rule, i'd get:

f'x = ((1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}})'(e^{x})[/itex] + ((1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}})(e^{x})'[/itex]

And in the next step, if I were to take the derivatives by first applying the exponential rule to (1+x)[itex]^{1/x}[/itex],

I would get an incorrect outcome because while I could apply the exponential rule to something like b^x, I would not be able to apply exponential rule to something like (b+x)^x

Is this correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
If what you mean by the "exponential rule" is the rule for how to take the derivative of something like ax, then you're right that you can't use it for things like xx. It is however easy to rewrite the thing that you don't know how to deal with, as something that you do know how to deal with. For example,
$$x^x=e^{\log x^x}=e^{x\log x}.$$

LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

I am of the conclusion that, under any circumstance, the extended exponential rule can not be applied to (1+x)[itex]^{1/x}[/itex].

Thus, there is no way for the extended exponential rule to arise when taking the derivative of:

f(x) = (1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}}e^{x}[/itex]

For instance, if my first step for finding the derivative of this function was to apply the product rule, i'd get:

f'x = ((1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}})'(e^{x})[/itex] + ((1+x)[itex]^{\frac{1}{x}})(e^{x})'[/itex]

And in the next step, if I were to take the derivatives by first applying the exponential rule to (1+x)[itex]^{1/x}[/itex],

I would get an incorrect outcome because while I could apply the exponential rule to something like b^x, I would not be able to apply exponential rule to something like (b+x)^x

Is this correct so far?
As Fredrik said, you can often change the way you an expression to make it easier to work with.

For the example you give, you can use logarithmic differentiation, or rewrite the expression as follows.
[itex]\displaystyle
f(x)=\Large e^{\ln\left((1+x)^{1/x}\right) } e^x[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle =\Large e^{\left( \frac{\ \ln(1+x)\ }{x} +x\right)}[/itex]

Fredrik & Sammy, thank you both very much. I did not see this problem in the way you presented it. Thank you for showing me this way to approach functions of the form x[itex]^{x}[/itex].

FAQ: Exponential rule on y = (1+x)^(1/x)

1. What is the exponential rule on y = (1+x)^(1/x)?

The exponential rule on y = (1+x)^(1/x) is a mathematical rule used to simplify expressions involving the exponent (1/x). It states that when raising a number to a power with a denominator, the power can be rewritten as a root of the base number.

2. What is the significance of the (1+x) term in the exponential rule?

The (1+x) term in the exponential rule represents the base number. It is the number that is being raised to a power.

3. How is the exponential rule used in scientific research?

The exponential rule is used in scientific research to simplify expressions and equations involving exponential functions. It allows scientists to more easily analyze and interpret data that follows an exponential growth or decay pattern.

4. Can the exponential rule be applied to other functions besides (1+x)^(1/x)?

Yes, the exponential rule can be applied to other functions as long as they have a base number raised to a power with a denominator. For example, it can also be applied to expressions like (2x+1)^(1/(2x+1)).

5. Are there any limitations to using the exponential rule?

The exponential rule is limited to functions that have a base number raised to a power with a denominator. It cannot be applied to functions with a base number raised to a power with a numerator or more complex functions with multiple variables.

Back