Exponentiating Matrices: Representation of \exp{(iÔ)}

In summary, to obtain the representation of ##exp{(i\Omega)}##, one must first compute the eigendecomposition of the matrix ##\Omega##, exponentiate the eigenvalues, and put the matrix back together with the new eigenvalues. This can be done using the formula ##F(M) = \sum_\lambda F(\lambda) \; |\lambda\rangle \langle \lambda|##, where ##F(\lambda) = e^{i\lambda}##.
OhNoYaDidn't
Consider the operator Ô, choose a convenient base and obtain the representation of
[tex]
\ exp{(iÔ)}
[/tex]
[tex]
Ô =
\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
1 & \sqrt{3} \\
\sqrt{3} & -1
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)
[/tex]

Attempt at solution:
So, i read on Cohen-Tannjoudji's Q.M. book that if the matrix is diagonal you can just exponentiate the diagonal elements and that's pretty much it. However, when the matrix is not diagonal, you have to use something like the following:
Lemma: A, P complex matrices, n by n, let's suppose P is invertible, then [tex] exp{({P_{}}^{-1}AP)} = {P_{}}^{-1}exp{(A)}P [/tex]

The proof is not so hard, we basically expand the exponential and note that: [tex] {({P_{}}^{-1}AP)}^m = P^{-1} A^mP[/tex]So, finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of O, we get:
[tex] exp{(iÔ)} =
\begin{pmatrix}
-exp{(-2i)}-3exp{(2i)} & 3exp{(-2i)}-3exp{(2i)} \\
exp{(-2i)}-exp{(2i)} & -3exp{(-2i)}-exp{(2i)}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Now I'm asked to write [tex] |v> =
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0

\end{pmatrix} [/tex]
on the eigenbase of [tex] exp{(iÔ)} [/tex]

Can you guys help me out? I don't really get what they ask me to do :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Compute the eigendecomposition of the matrix. Exponentiate the eigenvalues. Put the matrix back together with the new eigenvalues.

##M = \sum_\lambda \lambda \;|\lambda\rangle \langle \lambda|##

##F(M) = \sum_\lambda F(\lambda) \; |\lambda\rangle \langle \lambda|##

Where the ##\lambda##s in the sum are the eigenvalues/vectors.

Likes Igael

Related to Exponentiating Matrices: Representation of \exp{(iÔ)}

1. What is the purpose of exponentiating matrices?

The purpose of exponentiating matrices is to represent complex numbers in the form of e, where e is the base of the natural logarithm and i is the imaginary unit. This representation is useful in many areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. How do you exponentiate a matrix?

To exponentiate a matrix, you first need to diagonalize it. This means finding a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. Once you have a diagonal matrix, you can exponentiate each element on the diagonal by raising it to the power of e. The resulting matrix will be the exponentiated form of the original matrix.

3. What is the relationship between exponentiating matrices and the exponential function?

The exponential function, ex, can be thought of as a special case of exponentiating matrices. When the matrix is a scalar (meaning it only has one element), the resulting exponentiated matrix will be equal to the exponential function. In other words, e is equivalent to exponentiating the scalar matrix x.

4. Can you exponentiate any matrix?

No, not all matrices can be exponentiated. Only square matrices (matrices with the same number of rows and columns) can be exponentiated. Additionally, the matrix must be diagonalizable in order to be exponentiated.

5. How is exponentiating matrices used in real-world applications?

Exponentiating matrices has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. It is also used in computer graphics to rotate and scale objects in 3D space.