Express signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions

In summary, the problem is asking to express the given signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, with a consistent shift in t. The unit step function is also mentioned. The equations provided appear to be ramps and the term "consistently shifted" means to have a "+1" or "-1" somewhere in the function.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Express the following signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, where t should be consistently shifted

Homework Equations

signal simplification techniques, not known to me

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems you can express this in terms of step functions too, but not sure.

x(t) = -4(t + 4)

x(t) = -4r(t - 1)

I know you were supposed to have a ramp function here though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:

Homework Statement

Express the following signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions, where t should be consistently shifted

Homework Equations

signal simplification techniques, not known to me

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems you can express this in terms of step functions too, but not sure.

x(t) = -4(t + 4)

x(t) = -4r(t - 1)

I know you were supposed to have a ramp function here though.

What's "the following signal"?

The 2 equations you wrote look like ramps to me...

Ugh how did I miss that..

Homework Statement

x(t) = -4(t + 4)u(t - 1)

Is u(t) defined somewhere?

In this problem, I'm not sure. Do you mean the definition of it? It is the integral of the impulse function but not sure how to apply that here.

Oh, the unit step function. Okay, I get it.

So can you sketch that function okay? It still looks like a ramp function to me then, starting at a particular time t, with a slope and offset. Do you know what the term "consistently shifted" means in the context of this question? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

berkeman said:
Do you know what the term "consistently shifted" means in the context of this question? I'm not familiar with that terminology.

You're supposed to change it so that you have "+ 1 " or "-1" somewhere in there that's all I know

Related to Express signal in terms of ramp, exponential, and parabolic functions

1. What is a ramp function?

A ramp function is a mathematical function that increases linearly from one point to another. It can be represented by a straight line on a graph.

2. How is a ramp function expressed in terms of time?

A ramp function can be expressed as f(t)=mt+b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. In terms of time, t represents the independent variable, or the time variable, while f(t) represents the dependent variable, or the signal being measured.

3. What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function where the independent variable is in the exponent. It is commonly expressed as f(t)=ab^t, where a is the initial value and b is the growth factor. On a graph, an exponential function appears as a curved line that increases or decreases rapidly.

4. How is an exponential function used to represent a signal?

An exponential function can be used to represent a signal that grows or decays exponentially over time. This is often seen in natural phenomena or technological processes that exhibit exponential growth or decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay.

5. What is a parabolic function?

A parabolic function is a mathematical function that has a quadratic equation, meaning it has a squared term. It is commonly expressed as f(t)=at^2+bt+c, where a, b, and c are constants. On a graph, a parabolic function appears as a U-shaped curve.