Express the moment (torque) as a function of theta

In summary, the problem involves a wrench with a force being applied to one end, causing rotation around point P. The force is applied 43 inches to the left and 6 inches above P, with an angle theta of 150lb between the force and the vertical axis. The task is to solve for the moment in terms of theta and graph Mp vs theta, with a positive and clockwise direction. There were difficulties with incorrect answers, but ultimately the problem was solved by submitting values for every 10 degrees of theta instead of just four values.
tentoes

Homework Statement

The problem shows a wrench with a force being applied to one end. Rotation will occur around point P at the opposite end. The force is applied 43 inches to the left from P, and 6 inches above P. The angle theta is between the vertical axis at the end of the wrench (non-p end) and the force being applied - which = 150lb. The problem requires solving for the moment in terms of theta and graphing Mp vs theta. I feel like this should be a super easy problem but I've already given three incorrect answers.

I took the cross product of vector r =<-3.58, 0.5> ft and F = <150cos(theta), 150sin(theta)> and then plugged in values of theta to the result to get that theta = 0, Mp = 537lb/ft, theta = 30, Mp = 502.5, theta = 60, Mp = 333, theta =90, Mp 75. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. I also just tried calculating the components of the moment vector and then getting the magnitude for different values of theta by doing sum of the squares...what am I missing?

Just to clarify, the angle theta given in the picture requires that the x component of the force vector use sin(theta), and the ycomponent use cos(theta). Clockwise is supposed to be the positive direction. I feel like this isn't even a question, I have no idea how I could be getting this incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite clear. Is the non-P end of the wrench the point where the force is applied? Or is the wrench horizontal?

Yeah - the wrench is horizontal, the P end of the wrench where the moment is applied is on the right, the force is applied in an upward direction on the left end of the wrench. Clockwise is positive for this problem, so I think no matter what the angle theta, a positive / clockwise moment will exist. I also tried the above answer backwards (for some reason) and that was wrong too.

tentoes said:
Yeah - the wrench is horizontal, the P end of the wrench where the moment is applied is on the right, the force is applied in an upward direction on the left end of the wrench. Clockwise is positive for this problem, so I think no matter what the angle theta, a positive / clockwise moment will exist. I also tried the above answer backwards (for some reason) and that was wrong too.
Then I don't understand the "six inches above P" part. How can the force be applied at a point not on the wrench? Please try posting a diagram, or describe the arrangement very clearly.

Sorry - usually I can't copy information for the problems but this one allows it -
Probs.4-19_20.jpg

Here's the whole problem statement: "Determine the torque (moment) MP
render?expr=M_P.gif
that the applied force F
render?expr=F.gif
= 150 lb
render?expr=%7B%5Crm+lb%7D.gif
exerts on the pipe about point P
render?expr=P.gif
as a function of θ
render?expr=%5Ctheta.gif
. Plot this moment MP
render?expr=M_P.gif
versus θ
render?expr=%5Ctheta.gif
for 0∘≤θ≤90∘
render?expr=0%5E%5Ccirc+%5Cle+%5Ctheta+%5Cle+90+%5E%5Ccirc.gif
. Consider positive moment as clockwise."

Ok, the picture helped. Your values for theta = 0 and 90 are easily seen to be correct, and the others look reasonable. You say you have to graph it, but (some automated checker?) tells you your answer is wrong. You can't feed it the whole graph, so I'm guessing you're asked to enter the moments for those four particular values of theta, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has a graphing app but the values listed on the x-axis are theta = 0, 30, 60, 90 so those are the only ones I entered values for. There are tick marks for 10 degree increments of theta - if you think I did it right maybe I could try adding the values at those tick marks and see if it accepts that - it's really weird.

OK - I just submitted it using values for every 10 degree of theta and it accepted it - I think the point of that was that the value for the moment at P is actually higher when theta = 10 than theta = 0, and the relationship between moment and theta is NOT linear - which it sort of was when I just plugged in the four values. Whew - thanks for your time!

tentoes said:
OK - I just submitted it using values for every 10 degree of theta and it accepted it - I think the point of that was that the value for the moment at P is actually higher when theta = 10 than theta = 0, and the relationship between moment and theta is NOT linear - which it sort of was when I just plugged in the four values. Whew - thanks for your time!
Glad you found the magic trick.

FAQ: Express the moment (torque) as a function of theta

1. What is torque and how is it related to theta?

Torque is a measure of the force applied to an object to cause rotational motion. It is directly related to theta, which represents the angle of rotation, as it determines the distance between the point of application of the force and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you express torque as a function of theta?

Torque can be expressed as the product of the force applied and the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation, multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. Mathematically, it can be represented as t = F*r*sin(theta).

3. How does the direction of torque change with theta?

The direction of torque depends on the direction of the force and the direction of rotation. Generally, if the force is perpendicular to the lever arm (distance between the point of application and axis of rotation), the direction of torque will be along the axis of rotation. However, if the force is applied at an angle to the lever arm, the direction of torque will change with theta.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force and the lever arm are in opposite directions, leading to a clockwise rotation. In contrast, a positive torque results in a counterclockwise rotation.

5. How is torque calculated in real-world applications, such as engines or machines?

In real-world applications, torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of application to the axis of rotation. This calculation takes into account the angle between the force and the lever arm to determine the direction and magnitude of the torque. In engineering, torque is often measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

Back