Expressing a Sum in Sigma Notation: 1 + (2/3) + (3/5) + (4/7) + (5/9)

In summary, sigma notation is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is commonly used in mathematics and science to simplify and condense equations. To read and interpret sigma notation, you start by identifying the index variable and the range of values that it takes, then write down the expression being summed, and calculate the sum by plugging in values for the index variable. The limits of a sigma summation refer to the starting and ending values of the index variable, which determine the number of terms to be summed. Sigma notation can also be used to simplify complex expressions by condensing them into a single summation, using patterns or rules of the terms.
VanceFox

Homework Statement

"Express the following sum in sigma notation:

1 + (2/3) + (3/5) + (4/7) + (5/9)"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured out what they all have in common (1+2=3, 2+3=5, 3+4=7, 4+5=9) but I've been searching through the book and on the internet how to express this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the kth term is n(k)/d(k). Can you find a pattern to how the numerator and denominator change with k?

I just figured it out. Apparently I just needed to finally ask for help.

The equation is (i/2i-1) with start i=1 and end at 5.

FAQ: Expressing a Sum in Sigma Notation: 1 + (2/3) + (3/5) + (4/7) + (5/9)

What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a series of terms. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (Σ) and is commonly used in mathematics and science to simplify and condense equations.

How do I read and interpret sigma notation?

To read and interpret sigma notation, you start by identifying the index variable (the letter that appears below the sigma symbol) and the range of values that the index variable takes. Then, you write down the expression that is being summed, with the index variable replacing its corresponding value in the expression. Finally, you plug in the values for the index variable and calculate the sum.

What are the limits of a sigma summation?

The limits of a sigma summation refer to the starting and ending values of the index variable. The starting value is usually indicated below the sigma symbol and the ending value is indicated above the symbol. These limits determine the range of values that the index variable takes and therefore, the number of terms to be summed.

How do I simplify a complex expression using sigma notation?

Sigma notation can be used to simplify a complex expression by condensing it into a single summation. This is particularly useful when dealing with large numbers of terms. To simplify an expression using sigma notation, you first identify the pattern or rule that the terms follow and then write it in a condensed form using sigma notation.

What are some common properties of sigma notation?

Some common properties of sigma notation include the commutative property (the order of terms can be changed without affecting the value of the sum) and the distributive property (a constant can be factored out of the summation). Additionally, the use of sigma notation allows for easier manipulation and calculation of sums compared to writing out the individual terms.