Expressing area as a function of circumference

In summary, you are confusing the brackets with the numerator and denominator, and multiplying by pi will eliminate one of the pi's in the denominator.
Fractal314
I don't feel the formatting is right for this question because it's not a problem, it's just algebra I'm not getting.

A(r)= (pi)(r)^2
C= 2(pi)r

r= C/(2pi)

therefore,

A(c)= pi[c/(2pi)]^2

but I don't understand how this is supposed to equal A(c)= C^2/4pi

my attempt:
A(c)= pi(c/2pi)(c/2pi)
= pi(c^2/4pi)
= c^2pi/4pi

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are mostly having trouble with the formatting. Your work up to the function, A(c) looks good. Why are you confused? You are simply forgetting some simple algebra, that's all.

This, "A(c)= pi[c/(2pi)]^2", is good. You only want to simplify it. Instead of struggling only with simple text in the message body, use of the advanced formatting available on the physicsforums let's us display that as:
A(c) = [tex]\pi[/tex]([tex]\frac{c}{2\pi}[/tex])2
Start from there to simplify.

EDIT: Please excuse the poor arrangment on the parentheses, since I intended them to reach further vertically to enclose the entire rational part of the expression. also, the first pi factor is NOT intended to be superscripted although it is displayed unfortunately in such a superscripted location.

Last edited:
Here's what I did.

A(c) = pi(c/2pi)^2

now I have to square the brackets first, right?

therefore, pi(c/2pi)(c/2pi) Is this not what I have to do?

and then I can multiply the extra pi in there. So I am still confused. I still end up with

A(c)= pi(c^2/4pi)

Multiplying by pi will eliminate one pi in the denominator.

What do you mean?

if
A(c)= pi(c/2pi)(c/2pi)

then I get pi[c*c/2(2pi)] do I not? Because I have to multiply the two brackets. Then I multiply the pi and end up not getting c^2/4pi.

I am still confused as to what I am doing wrong.

When you multiply [tex](\frac{c}{{2\pi }}) \cdot (\frac{c}{{2\pi }})[/tex], you get [tex]\frac{{c^2 }}{{2^2 \pi ^2 }}[/tex]. Multiplying by [tex]\pi[/tex] eliminates 1 [tex]\pi[/tex] in the denominator.

Thanks for your help Pengwuino and Symboli, I get it now... and I feel like an idiot.:redface:

FAQ: Expressing area as a function of circumference

What is the formula for expressing area as a function of circumference?

The formula for expressing area as a function of circumference is A = (C/2π)^2, where A represents the area and C represents the circumference.

How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived from the equation for the circumference of a circle, C = 2πr, where r is the radius. By substituting 2πr for C in the formula for area, A = πr^2, and solving for r, you can then plug that value into the equation for C to get the formula for expressing area as a function of circumference.

Why is it important to be able to express area as a function of circumference?

Expressing area as a function of circumference is important because it allows us to easily calculate the area of a circle when only the circumference is known. This can be useful in many real-world applications, such as engineering, construction, and geometry.

Can this formula be used for any shape?

No, this formula can only be used for circles. Each shape has its own unique formula for finding the area in terms of its circumference or perimeter.

How does changing the circumference affect the area in this formula?

In this formula, as the circumference increases, the area also increases. However, the rate of increase is not linear, as the area is proportional to the square of the circumference. This means that a small change in circumference can result in a significantly larger change in area.

Back