Expressing Feynman Green's function as a 4-momentum integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of (z',p) as a 4-vector and the confusion surrounding its interpretation. The speaker questions the validity of using a new variable in forming a 4-vector with momentum and the change in interpretation of z' as a result. The conversation also mentions the use of ##\theta(x^0 - y^0)## and its preservation of time orientation in the restricted Lorentz group. The rest of the conversation involves expressing this in momentum space.
realanswers
Homework Statement
N/A
Relevant Equations
N/A
1678463170187.png

I am a bit confused on how we can just say that (z',p) form a 4-vector. In my head, four vectors are sacred objects that are Lorentz covariant, but now we introduced some new variable and say it forms a 4-vector with momentum. I understand that these are just integration variables but I still do not see how this is okay. The interpretation of z' now is different.

Physics news on Phys.org
realanswers said:
I am a bit confused on how we can just say that (z',p) form a 4-vector. In my head, four vectors are sacred objects that are Lorentz covariant, but now we introduced some new variable and say it forms a 4-vector with momentum. I understand that these are just integration variables but I still do not see how this is okay. The interpretation of z' now is different.
But where did it come from? ##\theta(x^0 - y^0)##, right? The restricted Lorentz group (identity-connected part) preserves time orientation, so it's ok to use ##\theta(x^0 - y^0)## in that circumstance. The rest just involves expressing it in momentum space.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Expressing Feynman Green's function as a 4-momentum integral

What is Feynman Green's function in quantum field theory?

Feynman Green's function, also known as the Feynman propagator, is a fundamental solution to the equations of motion in quantum field theory. It describes the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another in spacetime and is essential for calculating scattering amplitudes in Feynman diagrams.

Why is the 4-momentum integral important for expressing the Feynman Green's function?

The 4-momentum integral is important because it allows the Feynman Green's function to be expressed in momentum space, which simplifies calculations in quantum field theory. By transforming the problem into momentum space, one can take advantage of the symmetries and conservation laws that are more naturally expressed in terms of momentum.

How is the Feynman Green's function expressed as a 4-momentum integral?

The Feynman Green's function \( G_F(x - y) \) in position space can be expressed as a 4-momentum integral in momentum space by using the Fourier transform. The expression is given by:\[ G_F(x - y) = \int \frac{d^4 p}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{e^{-ip \cdot (x - y)}}{p^2 - m^2 + i\epsilon} \]where \( p \) is the 4-momentum, \( m \) is the mass of the particle, and \( \epsilon \) is an infinitesimally small positive number ensuring the correct causal structure.

What role does the infinitesimal parameter \( \epsilon \) play in the 4-momentum integral?

The infinitesimal parameter \( \epsilon \) ensures the correct causal structure of the propagator by specifying the boundary conditions. It shifts the poles of the propagator slightly off the real axis in the complex plane, which dictates the time-ordering of the fields and ensures that the propagator decays appropriately for large time separations.

Can the Feynman Green's function be computed numerically using the 4-momentum integral?

Yes, the Feynman Green's function can be computed numerically using the 4-momentum integral, although it can be challenging due to the oscillatory nature of the integrand and the need to handle the infinitesimal parameter \( \epsilon \). Numerical techniques such as contour integration or regularization methods are often employed to obtain accurate results.