Expressing probability of bit error

In summary, the conversation is about finding the probability of bit error in a bipolar system using threshold detection, expressed as ##P_e=Q(\rho)## where ##\rho = \frac{A_p}{\sigma_n}##. The person is unsure about how to express it in terms of integrals and conditional probabilities and asks for help or hints.
Evo8

Homework Statement

I need to the probability of bit error in terms of integrals and terms of conditional probabilities.

Its a bipolar system using threshold detection
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58542&stc=1&d=1367888259

Homework Equations

probability of bit error → ##P_e=Q(\rho)##
##\rho = \frac{A_p}{\sigma_n}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure I understand what's going on in the figure for this question. I would think that the bit error would be the shaded regions correct? I might be able to figure something out for expressing it in terms of conditional probability but I don't think it would be 100% correct. On top of that I have no idea how to express them in terms of integrals.

Im kind of guessing here but would it be something like $$P_e=p(r|-a) \ + \ p(r|a)$$

Im thinking no...

Any help or hints are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've normally seen error rates based on bit error rate in this fashion:

bit error rate = p
probability of a good bit = 1 - p
probability of a good byte (8 good bits) = (1-p)^8

Related to Expressing probability of bit error

1. What is "expressing probability of bit error"?

"Expressing probability of bit error" refers to a method of quantifying the likelihood of errors occurring in a digital communication system. It is typically expressed as a decimal value between 0 and 1, with a lower probability indicating a more reliable system.

2. How is the probability of bit error calculated?

The probability of bit error is calculated by dividing the number of incorrect bits by the total number of bits transmitted. This value is then typically multiplied by 100 to get a percentage, or expressed as a decimal value between 0 and 1.

3. What factors can affect the probability of bit error?

Several factors can influence the probability of bit error, including the quality of the transmission channel, the modulation technique used, the coding scheme employed, and the presence of external interference or noise.

4. How is the probability of bit error used in digital communication systems?

The probability of bit error is an important metric in evaluating and optimizing the performance of digital communication systems. It is used to determine the most effective coding and modulation schemes, as well as to estimate the overall reliability of the system.

5. What is a good probability of bit error for a digital communication system?

A good probability of bit error for a digital communication system varies depending on the specific application and requirements. Generally, a lower probability, such as 0.01 or less, is desired for high-quality and reliable communication, while a higher probability may be acceptable for less critical applications.

Back