Expressing the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium

In summary, the conversation is about a problem concerning the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium. The participants discuss different approaches to solving the problem, including using the product rule and the chain rule. The conversation also involves a discussion on the correct form of the original equation and the need for a review of calculus. In the end, the solution is found by working from the right side of the equation to the left side.
Jdraper

Homework Statement

This problem has been stumping me for days now, I'm sure I'm missing something simple as it's only worth a small number of marks on the coursework. Any help would be appreciated.

I've been asked to re-express the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium:

dP/dr = - Gm/4πr4 dm/dr

as, -Gm/4πr4 dm/dr = -d/dr (Gm2/8πr4) - Gm2/2πr5

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The most obvious thing seemed to try to differentiate with respect to r using product rule. This however leaves me with the wrong answers and an imbalance in my equation.

I've also tried integrating by parts but i don't believe this is the correct way to tackle the problem as you can't get the r5 by integration, only by differentiation.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple.

Thanks, John.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like differentiation by the product rule works just fine. Show us what you did. Also, it might have helped if you had written your original equation in a more readable form:
$$\frac{dP}{dr}=-\frac{Gm}{4πr^4}\frac{dm}{dr}$$

Chet

ok so differentiating the RHS, tried writing this using LaTex but really struggling to get it to work. Sorry, hope this format is ok.

d/dr ( -Gm/4πr4 dm/dr ) =

Completing this would give me a triple product differentiation rule, I'm happy to write it out but it seems to me that it would give me three terms which i would be unable to simplify down to two terms which is what i need.

The only other way i can see seems to be mathematically unsound.

dP/dr = -Gm/4πr4 dm/dr manipulating the differential in the LHS we get

dP/dr = -G/4π d/dr (m2/r4) , as mass is a function of radius we get

dP/dr =-G/4πr4 d/dr(m^2) + Gm2/πr5

Which is also not the required answer, Are either of these on the right track to the solution?

Thanks, John.

Using either the product or the quotient rule, what is the derivative with respect to r of m2/r4?

Chet

Using the product rule i get:

=m2 d/dr (1/r4) + 1/r4 d/dr (m2)
=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 d/dr(m2)

as the m2 cannot be differentiated with respect to r as we are not given the mass profile.

John

Jdraper said:
Using the product rule i get:

=m2 d/dr (1/r4) + 1/r4 d/dr (m2)
=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 d/dr(m2)

as the m2 cannot be differentiated with respect to r as we are not given the mass profile.

John
m2(r) is a function of r, so it can be differentiated. Have you heard of the chain rule for differentiation?

Chet

Ahh ok, that didn't seem apparent at first, so now i get:

=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 d/dr(m2)
using chain rule
=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 (2m(r)*1)

=-4m2/r5 + 2m/r4

Is this correct?

Thanks, John.

Jdraper said:
Ahh ok, that didn't seem apparent at first, so now i get:

=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 d/dr(m2)
using chain rule
=-4m2/r5 + 1/r4 (2m(r)*1)

=-4m2/r5 + 2m/r4

Is this correct?

Thanks, John.
No. The derivative of m2 with respect to r is 2m(dm/dr). You are in serious need of reviewing calculus.

Chet

Yeah, i agree. Most have my modules have strayed away from differential calculus is recent years so a review is needed.

So that gives me:

d/dr (dP/dr) =-Gm2 / πr5 +Gm/2πr4 dm/dr

Jdraper said:
Yeah, i agree. Most have my modules have strayed away from differential calculus is recent years so a review is needed.

So that gives me:

d/dr (dP/dr) =-Gm2 / πr5 +Gm/2πr4 dm/dr
Recheck your algebra, and where did d/dr (dP/dr) come from?

Chet

Oh sorry, Forgot we manipulated the differential in the RHS rather than differentiating both sides.

So we have

dP/dr =-Gm2 / πr5 +Gm/2πr4 dm/dr

Manipulating the differentials again I get

dP/dr = Gm/πr5 - d/dr (Gm2/2πr4)

It seems that some factors are missing, i'll recheck my workings

I think that rechecking your work would be a good idea. Now your issue is algebra.

Chet

ok starting from the beginning

dP/dr =- Gm/4πr4 dm/dr

=-G/4π d/dr (m2/r4) = -G/4π (m2 d/dr (r-4) + 1/r4 d/dr (m2)) using product rule

then we get

=-G/4π(-4m2/r5 + 2m/r4 dm/dr )

so this give us

=Gm2/πr5 -d/dr (Gm2/2πr4)

Sorry but i don't understand where my missing factors have gone?

Jdraper said:
ok starting from the beginning

dP/dr =- Gm/4πr4 dm/dr

=-G/4π d/dr (m2/r4)
Your error is right here. Read your problem statement.

Chet

I know I'm probably being really dense but i dob't see it. It can't be from the original statement as that's fine so there must be something wrong with the

=-G/4π d/dr (m2/r4)

Jdraper said:
I know I'm probably being really dense but i dob't see it. It can't be from the original statement as that's fine so there must be something wrong with the

=-G/4π d/dr (m2/r4)

Here are the first two equations of your problem statement combined into one:

Show that

dP/dr = - Gm/4πr4 dm/dr = -d/dr (Gm2/8πr4) - Gm2/2πr5

If you can't get the answer from this, I'm at a loss for how I can help you further.

Chet

I understand you are doing your best to help but it's very unclear to me what the source of my error is.

At the moment i have an answer in which one term is a factor of -½ out and another which is a factor of ¼ out. I see nothing wrong with my algebraic working so could you please tell me whether this step in my workings is wrong?

dP/dr =- Gm/4πr4 dm/dr =-G/4π d/dr (m2/r4)

Thanks, John

Finally shown it, didn't realize you were working from the RHS to the LHS. I was trying to do the opposite hence the confusion.

Thanks anyway.

Related to Expressing the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium

1. What is the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium?

The equation of hydrostatic equilibrium is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states the pressure gradient within a static fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid per unit volume. This can be expressed as:

P = ρgh

Where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

2. How is the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium derived?

The equation of hydrostatic equilibrium can be derived from the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the continuity equation. By considering a small volume of fluid in a container, applying the forces acting on it, and assuming that the fluid is incompressible, the equation can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium?

The equation of hydrostatic equilibrium is important in understanding the behavior of fluids, such as water and air, in various systems. It is used in many engineering applications, such as designing water tanks, dams, and pipelines, as well as in weather forecasting and studying the ocean's depths.

4. Can the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium be applied to all types of fluids?

The equation of hydrostatic equilibrium is only applicable to static fluids, which means that the fluid is not in motion. It is not valid for fluids in motion, such as in a flowing river or in a moving vehicle.

5. How does the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium relate to atmospheric pressure?

Atmospheric pressure is a result of the weight of the air column above a given point on the Earth's surface. Therefore, the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium can also be used to calculate the atmospheric pressure at a certain altitude. As the altitude increases, the pressure decreases due to the decrease in the weight of the air column.

Back