Expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral

In summary, the conversation revolves around expressing a given limit as a definite integral, with the main focus on determining the upper bound. The correct answer is 10∫(from 1 to 10) [x-4lnx]dx and the discussion includes the use of the definition of the definite integral and setting the upper limit of the sum to infinity, leading to trouble with a division by infinity. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a typo in the given limit expression.
michaelkorn

Homework Statement

Express the following as a definite integral:

Express the attached limit as an integral.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten as far as every part of the answer except the upper bound. the answer is:
(from 1 to 10) [x-4lnx]dx

since the definition of the definite integral is:
a
f(x)dx = lim Ʃ Δxif(x)
b________Δ→∞ i=1

i set Δxi = 9/n since that approaches zero. f(x) would be left to 1+9i/n - 4ln(1+9i/n)
so i set x = 1+9i/n.
since n approaches ∞ and the upper bound of the sum is ∞, i plugged ∞ in for i and n.
thats where I have trouble. ∞/∞ is undefined. when i plug 1 in i end up with 1 so that is the lower bound.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-30 at 3.05.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-30 at 3.05.04 PM.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your infinite sum converges for any i - you sum over i which grows like i^2 and the log-expression does not reduce this enough (just grows with i*log(i)).
If the sum is supposed to run from i=1 to n, this makes sense, and you get the maximal x-value simply by setting i=n.

michaelkorn said:

Homework Statement

Express the following as a definite integral:

Express the attached limit as an integral.

I have gotten as far as every part of the answer except the upper bound. the answer is:
(from 1 to 10) [x-4lnx]dx

since the definition of the definite integral is:
a
f(x)dx = lim Ʃ Δxif(x)
b________Δ→∞ i=1

i set Δxi = 9/n since that approaches zero. f(x) would be left to 1+9i/n - 4ln(1+9i/n)
so i set x = 1+9i/n.
since n approaches ∞ and the upper bound of the sum is ∞, i plugged ∞ in for i and n.
thats where I have trouble. ∞/∞ is undefined. when i plug 1 in i end up with 1 so that is the lower bound.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

There's a typo in the attached limit expression. The upper limit on the summation should be n. As written it doesn't approach anything. The sum by itself diverges.

Last edited:

FAQ: Expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral

1. What is the purpose of expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral?

The purpose of expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral is to find the area under a curve, which can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It allows us to calculate the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval, rather than just at specific points.

2. How is the limit of a sum related to a definite integral?

The limit of a sum is related to a definite integral through the concept of Riemann sums. A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas. As the number of rectangles increases, the Riemann sum approaches the definite integral, which represents the exact area under the curve.

3. What is the difference between a Riemann sum and a definite integral?

The main difference between a Riemann sum and a definite integral is that a Riemann sum is an approximation of the area under a curve, while a definite integral represents the exact area. Additionally, a Riemann sum uses a finite number of rectangles, while a definite integral uses an infinite number of infinitesimally small rectangles to calculate the area.

4. How do you express the limit of a sum as a definite integral?

To express the limit of a sum as a definite integral, you need to first determine the function that represents the curve and the limits of integration. Then, you can use the formula for a Riemann sum, which is the sum of the areas of the rectangles, to set up the definite integral. Finally, you can take the limit as the number of rectangles approaches infinity to find the exact area under the curve.

5. What are some applications of expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral?

Expressing the limit of a sum as a definite integral has various applications in real-world problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with varying velocity, the total work done by a varying force, or the total cost of production for a company with fluctuating costs. It can also be used in physics to find the total mass of an object with varying density or the total charge of an object with varying charge density.