Extremely hard special relativity (2 particles with different speeds)

Since you know that the two events take place at the same time in S, you know that the two events must take place on the same t' line in S'. So you can use this fact in the LT. It is not a "standard configuration" as you suggest, but it is not too hard. Try it and see what you can come up with.In summary, the problem involves two unstable particles moving in the xy frame, with one having a speed of 0.99c and the other having a speed less than 0.99c. When the distance between them is 100m in the xy frame, they both explode at the same time. The goal is to find the time between the explosions
71GA

Homework Statement

We have a 2 unstable particles moving in the ##\scriptsize xy## frame. The leading one has speed ##\scriptsize u_2=0.99c## while the other has speed ##\scriptsize u_1 < u_2##. When the distance between them is ##\scriptsize 100m## in the ##\scriptsize xy## frame they both seem to explode at the same time in ##\scriptsize xy##.

How much time does it pass between explosions in frame of the faster particle. Which particle does explode first in this system?

Homework Equations

• Lorentz transformations (i think only for standard configuration)
  • time dilation
  • length contraction

The Attempt at a Solution

First i draw the image:

First i calculate ##\scriptsize \gamma_2##:

\begin{align}
\gamma_2 = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- 0.99^2}} = 7.09
\end{align}

I know is that if two events happen at the same time in some system that system measures proper length ##\scriptsize \ell##. So i can conclude that ##\Delta x \equiv \ell##. With respect to this i can calculate the distance ##\scriptsize \Delta x_2' = \tfrac{1}{\gamma} \Delta x = \tfrac{1}{50.25}100m \approx 1.99m##.

Question 1: I think that the calculated distance ##\scriptsize \Delta x'_2## is the distance between the events in frame ##\scriptsize x'_2,y'_2## if particle in system ##\scriptsize x'_1,y'_1## would be moving with speed ##\scriptsize u_2=u_1##. I am not sure about my interpretation and need help.

Now i try to continue and use the fact that events happen at the same time in ##\scriptsize xy## frame ##\scriptsize \longrightarrow \Delta t = 0##. I know i have to use this in Lorentz transformations which i have to write 2 times (first time to connect the frame ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_1y'_1## and second time to connect frame ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_2y'_2## - i use ##\scriptsize \gamma_1, u_1## & ##\scriptsize \gamma_2,u_2## respectively). Let's do this:

Connecting the ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_1y'_1##:
\begin{align}
\Delta x &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta x'_1 + u_1 \Delta t_1' \right) & \Delta t &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta t_1' + \Delta x'_1 \tfrac{u_1}{c^2}\right)\\
\Delta x_1' &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta x - u_1 \Delta t \right) & \Delta t_1' &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta t - \Delta x \tfrac{u_1}{c^2}\right)\\
\end{align}
Connecting the ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_2y'_2##:
\begin{align}
\Delta x &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta x'_2 + u_2 \Delta t_2' \right) & \Delta t &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta t_2' + \Delta x'_2 \tfrac{u_2}{c^2}\right)\\
\Delta x_2' &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta x - u_2 \Delta t \right) & \Delta t_2' &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta t - \Delta x \tfrac{u_2}{c^2}\right)\\
\end{align}

If i apply the ##\boxed{\Delta t = 0}## i get some speciffic Lorentz transformations (which i marked A,B,C... for easier comunication):

Connecting the ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_1y'_1##:
\begin{align}
&(A) & \Delta x &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta x'_1 + u_1 \Delta t_1' \right) & &(B) & 0 &= \gamma_1 \left(\Delta t_1' + \Delta x'_1 \tfrac{u_1}{c^2}\right)\\
&(C) & \Delta x_1' &= \gamma_1 \Delta x & &(D) & \Delta t_1' &= - \gamma_1 \Delta x \tfrac{u_1}{c^2}\\
\end{align}
Connecting the ##\scriptsize xy## with ##\scriptsize x'_2y'_2##:
\begin{align}
&(E) & \Delta x &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta x'_2 + u_2 \Delta t_2' \right) & &(F) & 0 &= \gamma_2 \left(\Delta t_2' + \Delta x'_2 \tfrac{u_2}{c^2}\right)\\
&(G) & \Delta x_2' &= \gamma_2 \Delta x & &(H) & \Delta t_2' &= - \gamma_2 \Delta x \tfrac{u_2}{c^2}\\
\end{align}

Question 2: I noticed that (C) and (G) say that ##\scriptsize \Delta x'_1## and ##\scriptsize \Delta x'_2## will be larger than ##\scriptsize \Delta x##. I don't understand this yet and need some help here.

This is what i ve been able to do so far. I would appreciate if anyone would help me to finish i would be gratefull :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your numerical calculation of ##\gamma_2##, I think you set it up ok but didn't evaluate it correctly.

In all of the equations that you wrote down, which quantity represents what you are asked to find?

TSny said:
Check your numerical calculation of ##\gamma_2##, I think you set it up ok but didn't evaluate it correctly.
Thank you. I was so sloppy. I did fix the ##\gamma_2##. The right value is ##\gamma_2 = 7.09##
TSny said:
In all of the equations that you wrote down, which quantity represents what you are asked to find?
First i need to find ##\Delta t_2'##. By "all" did you mean A,B,C,D and E,F,G,H?

71GA said:
I did fix the ##\gamma_2##. The right value is ##\gamma_2 = 7.09##

First i need to find ##\Delta t_2'##.

Yes. So, which of equations E-H will get you the answer?

TSny said:
Yes. So, which of equations E-H will get you the answer?
Equations (E), (F) and (H) i presume. Let me try this.

Here is what I think is a simpler way. Call the xy frame of reference S, and the frame of reference of the faster particle S'. Let both particles explode at time t = 0, as reckoned by the observers in the S frame of reference, and let the slower particle be located at x = 0, and the faster particle be located at x = 100 m at t = 0. As reckoned by the observers in the S' frame of reference, let the slower particle explode at x ' = 0 and at at time t' = 0 (according to the synchronized clocks of the S' frame of reference). So, for Event 1, you have:

x = 0, t = 0
x' = 0, t' = 0

Let Event 2 be the explosion of the faster particle. For event 2,

x = 100 m, t = 0
x' = ?? m, t' = ?? sec

You need to use the Lorentz Transformation to determine the ??s in S' for the second event.

Related to Extremely hard special relativity (2 particles with different speeds)

1. What is Extremely Hard Special Relativity?

Extremely Hard Special Relativity (EHSR) is a theoretical framework that extends the principles of special relativity to situations where two particles are traveling at significantly different speeds. It takes into account the effects of high velocities and the different reference frames of the particles.

2. How is EHSR different from traditional special relativity?

EHSR differs from traditional special relativity in that it takes into account the relative velocities of two particles, instead of assuming that they are traveling at the same speed. This allows for more accurate calculations and predictions in situations where the velocities of particles differ greatly.

3. What are some real-world applications of EHSR?

EHSR has potential applications in fields such as astrophysics, where high velocities and different reference frames are common. It can also be used in particle physics and in the study of subatomic particles, where particles can have vastly different speeds.

4. How is EHSR tested and validated?

EHSR is a theoretical framework, so it is tested and validated through mathematical calculations and simulations. Scientists also compare its predictions to experimental data from particle accelerators and other high-speed experiments to ensure its accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to EHSR?

Like any scientific theory, EHSR has its limitations. It may not accurately describe extreme situations, such as near the speed of light, or situations involving multiple particles. Additionally, EHSR is still a developing theory and may be subject to revisions and refinements in the future.