Extremely hard vectors/geometry problem: Find the centre of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of finding the centre of a sphere touching two planes at specific points. The solution involved finding the line of intersection between the two planes and confirming that the vectors PB and PA are perpendicular to this line and the normal vectors of the planes. The attempted solution involved setting up a parametric function and solving for the coordinates of the centre of the sphere, but there were some errors in the calculations.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Plane α: x-2y+z=2. Plane β: 2x+y+z=5

Point P= (0,1,4) is on the line of intersection, with directional vector L, between the two planes.

A sphere is touching plane alpha at point A and plane beta at point B. Show that PB is perpendicular to L and the normal vector of plane Beta, and that PA is perpendicular to L and the normal vector of plane Alpha. Find the centre of the sphere, point S.

point A=(11,9,9) point B= (4,-14,-1).

Homework Equations

I found the line of intersection, which contains Point P. I also confirmed that vectors PB & PA are both perpendicular to the line of intersection, and PB is perpendicular to the normal vector of plane alpha while PA is perpendicular to the normal vector of plane beta. This I was ordered to do by the assignment.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a parametric function. The centre coordinates are: x,y,z. Using some geometry I set up a parametric function where x= 7t y=21t+1 z=4.

I then figured that the radius of the circle equals= (11-x)^2 + (9-y)^2 + (9-z)^2 = |SA| = |SB| = (-4-x)^2 + (14-y)^2 + (-1-<)^2

Well, I tried to do the algebra, substituting x with 7t, y with 21t+1 and z with 4 but I just ended up with 0t=0.

Can you guys help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
uhh, sorry a few typos:

1) radius of the circle = (11-x)^2 + (9-y)^2 + (9-z)^2 = |SA| = |SB| = (-4-x)^2 + (14-y)^2 + (-1-z*)^2

* replaced < with z.

2) I put the coordinates of point S, the centre of the sphere, as X, Y, Z.

bump? anyone knows? and why was the post editing feature removed?

Related to Extremely hard vectors/geometry problem: Find the centre of a sphere

1. How do you approach solving an extremely hard vectors/geometry problem like finding the centre of a sphere?

When approaching this type of problem, it is important to first understand the properties of a sphere. Then, use knowledge of vectors and geometry to identify any given information or constraints and determine what techniques can be applied. Breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts can also be helpful.

2. What are some key concepts or formulas to keep in mind when working on this problem?

Some key concepts to keep in mind are the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometry, and the properties of circles and spheres. Additionally, knowledge of vectors, including dot and cross products, can be useful in solving this problem.

3. Are there any specific strategies or tips for approaching this problem?

One helpful strategy is to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to better understand the given information and potential solutions. Another tip is to look for symmetries or patterns in the problem that can simplify the solution process.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this type of problem?

A common mistake is to overlook important information or make incorrect assumptions about the given problem. It is also important to double-check calculations and make sure all steps in the solution process are logical and accurate.

5. How can I check my answer to ensure it is correct?

One way to check your answer is to use the Pythagorean theorem to verify that the distance from the centre of the sphere to any given point on its surface is equal to the radius of the sphere. Additionally, plugging in your calculated coordinates for the centre into the original problem and checking if the given constraints are satisfied can also serve as a confirmation of the correct solution.