F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion

In summary, the speaker is struggling to apply the equation F=ma to the motion of a slider crank, specifically the piston. They want to know how much force is needed to keep the piston in motion, and if force is only necessary at certain points in the cycle due to acceleration and deceleration. The speaker also mentions a diagram and is trying to determine where the force is coming from to overcome acceleration in a certain range of degrees.
Kalus
I'm struggling to apply F=ma to the motion of a slider crank, more specifically the piston. I want to find out how much force is nessesary to keep the piston in motion. Essentially, in the mechanism there is acceleration and deceleration, does that mean only at some points in the cycle there is force needed to move the piston?

Using the equations derived for the motion of a piston:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/1/6/8/1686ee2f8b1d67ce1eb1aa4fb4b0daac.png

9b2e87b937f4942da5b81113ade86f0e.png

29bde840b3d4c0a03708f2d941f33a54.png

Gives you this:

800px-Graph_of_Piston_Motion.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I should add why I'm asking this. I have the following diagram:

0klgQ.jpg

Where f_g is the combustion force, f_j is the inertial force and f is the resultant force. I'm trying to work out what's providing the force to overcome the acceleration around 650 to 90 degrees.

shaft flywheel

Related to F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion

1. What is the formula for F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion?

The formula for F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion is used to calculate the force required to move a piston in a slider crank mechanism. It is represented as F=ma, where F is the force in newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How is F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion used in engineering?

F=ma applied to slider crank piston motion is commonly used in engineering to design and analyze mechanical systems, such as engines and pumps. It helps engineers determine the amount of force needed to move a piston and ensure that the mechanism operates efficiently and safely.

3. What factors can affect the F=ma equation in slider crank piston motion?

Several factors can affect the F=ma equation in slider crank piston motion, including the mass of the object being moved, the acceleration of the piston, and the presence of external forces such as friction. These factors must be taken into account when using the equation to accurately calculate the required force.

4. Can F=ma be applied to other types of motion besides slider crank piston motion?

Yes, F=ma can be applied to various types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It is a fundamental equation in classical mechanics and can be used to analyze the motion of a wide range of objects and systems.

5. How does the F=ma equation relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

The F=ma equation is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, and the greater the mass of the object, the smaller its acceleration will be.

Back