F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles )

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving electrons and their acceleration. The relevant equations are mentioned and the attempt at a solution is described, with the main issue being the lack of information on the number of electrons. The conversation concludes with the clarification that the force is acting on each electron individually and not on a group.
Pee-Buddy
F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles!)

Well here's the problem:

1. Electrons in an oscilloscope are accelerated from rest by a constant force of 8.0*10^16 N over a distance of 15mm. Find (a) the acceleration and (b) the final velocity.

Relevant equations:
2. F=ma, v^2+u^2=2as, v=ut+1/2at^2

At any rate it's easy to find the acceleration of 1 electron, but I don't know how to obtain the mass of all of them. I tried to find the force needed to displace a mass of 1 electron (9.1093897*10^-31 kg) by 15mm and then simply cross multiplying the forces and accelerations, but since I don't know the time (since I don't know the speed of the electron) I'm flumoxed!

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
F=ma => a= (8*10^16 N)/m(total)

a= (8*10^16 N)/(9.1093897*10^-31)x ;where is x =total no. of electrons

ax = 8.782147641^46 m/s^2

Again the final velocity is easy to get once I've gotten the acceleration. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat each electron separately. Presumably, you are given the force on each electron, so find their acceleration.

Agreed..

Unfortunately, you're only given the force acting on a group of electrons of unknown size.
Sure if I knew the force acting on each electron it'd be easy!

Pee-Buddy said:
Unfortunately, you're only given the force acting on a group of electrons of unknown size.
Sure if I knew the force acting on each electron it'd be easy!
You are over-interpreting the phrasing of the problem. It is easy! When they say: "Electons are..." they are talking about each electron. (Just like saying "Electrons have a mass of ...". How many electrons? One!)

Otherwise you would be correct: The problem would be impossible. A given force is exerted on an unknown mass. Find the acceleration. Sorry, no can do! :wink:

FAQ: F=ma prob with electrons (They don't even act like particles )

1. What is the meaning of F=ma in relation to electrons?

F=ma is a basic formula in physics that states that the force (F) acting on an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by its acceleration (a). In the case of electrons, it refers to the force exerted on them and how they respond to this force.

2. How do electrons behave differently from particles in terms of F=ma?

Electrons are not considered particles in the same sense as larger objects. They exhibit behaviors of both particles and waves, and therefore their response to the force of F=ma is not the same as that of a larger, solid object. Electrons have a smaller mass and are more affected by other forces, such as electromagnetic fields.

3. Can F=ma be applied to electrons in all situations?

While F=ma is a fundamental principle in physics, it may not always be applicable to electrons in certain situations. For example, in quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the position and momentum of a particle, such as an electron, cannot be determined simultaneously with complete accuracy. Therefore, the concept of acceleration may not be well-defined for electrons in certain scenarios.

4. How does the concept of acceleration relate to the movement of electrons?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes. In the case of electrons, the movement of these particles is often described in terms of their energy levels and the transition between these levels. The concept of acceleration is used in some mathematical models to explain the behavior of electrons, but it is important to note that the movement of electrons is not always linear or predictable.

5. Are there any other principles or equations that are more suitable for describing the behavior of electrons?

While F=ma is a useful equation in understanding the behavior of larger objects, other principles and equations are better suited for describing the behavior of electrons. In quantum mechanics, the Schrödinger equation is often used to describe the wave-like behavior of electrons, and the principles of electromagnetism are used to explain their interactions with electric and magnetic fields. Ultimately, a combination of different principles and equations is necessary to fully understand the complex behavior of electrons.