F test for R^2 when comparing two models

• Thread starter emmasaunders12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Models Test
In summary, the conversation discusses comparing the performance of two models by calculating the coefficient of determination R squared for each. However, the F test requires the number of degrees of freedom for each model, which may be tricky to determine for one model that operates in a lower dimensional domain. Suggestions for alternative test statistics, such as AIC or BIC, are mentioned. The conversation also delves into the importance of considering the number of parameters in the models and the purpose of the comparison (e.g. prediction or model fit).
emmasaunders12
Hi all

I am comparing the performance of two models and have calculated the coefficient of determination R squared for each. I would like however to test the significance of this value.

The F test however requires that the number of degrees of freedom for each model. The trouble is one model operates in a lower dimensional domain, by projecting the data into PCA domain. Therefore I am not sure on the degrees of freedom for this model as I have degrees of freedom in the PCA domain and then a projection operator to obtain my values of the dependent variable.

Has anyone any ideas how to proceed, in this case, or perhaps the suggestion for an alternative test statistic.

Thanks

Emma

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your models, precisely? It seems to me that there is almost certainly a better way to compare them than by R2. By the sounds of it, the models have different numbers of parameters, in which case comparing R2 values is completely inappropriate. My first thought when I hear "model comparison" is something like the AIC or BIC, but this will depend on what you're interested in (e.g. prediction, model fit, parsimony).

Hi number 9, can I simply alter the degrees of freedom for comparison:

I have found this relationship:

If the models have di erent numbers of parameters, the formula becomes:
F =[(SS1-SS2)/(df1df2)]/SS2-df2

I'm interested how well each model performs, that is how well it fits to new data, outside of a training stage, does that count as prediction?

Thanks

Emma

Related to F test for R^2 when comparing two models

What is an F test for R^2 when comparing two models?

The F test for R^2 is a statistical test used to compare the goodness of fit of two regression models. It measures the amount of variation in the data that is explained by the models and determines if one model is significantly better than the other.

How is the F test for R^2 calculated?

The F test for R^2 is calculated by dividing the difference in the R^2 values of the two models by the difference in their degrees of freedom. This ratio follows an F distribution, and the resulting p-value is used to determine the significance of the difference between the models.

What is the null hypothesis of the F test for R^2?

The null hypothesis of the F test for R^2 is that there is no difference between the two models in terms of their ability to explain the variation in the data. In other words, the additional variables or factors in the second model do not significantly improve the overall fit of the model.

What is the alternative hypothesis of the F test for R^2?

The alternative hypothesis of the F test for R^2 is that the second model is significantly better than the first model in terms of explaining the variation in the data. This means that the additional variables or factors in the second model do contribute significantly to the overall fit of the model.

How do you interpret the results of an F test for R^2?

If the resulting p-value is less than the chosen significance level (typically 0.05), then the null hypothesis is rejected, and it can be concluded that there is a significant difference between the two models. On the other hand, if the p-value is greater than the significance level, then the null hypothesis cannot be rejected, and it can be assumed that there is no significant difference between the models.