Fabricating PIN Diode with Boron, Si and Phosphorus

• Thread starter mabm_05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode Pin
In summary, the conversation is about a fabricated PIN diode using boron, silicon, and phosphorus. The fabrication method involves etching two contacts on a silicon wafer and doping it with boron and phosphorus, leaving an I-region between the contacts. The speaker has measured the I-V characteristic of the diode but is looking for a formula or reference to compare the measurement with. They ask for help in finding the formula.
mabm_05
Hii...

I already fabricated PIN diode using boron (P), Si (N-type), and phosphorus (N). For the method, I etching two contact at Si wafer then doping the boron and phosphorus... there are width I-region (Si) between the contact.

A already measured the I-V characteristic of PIN diode but don't have any formula or reference for compare with the measurement. I want know the formula to prove my IV Characteristic PIN diode. help me...??

Picture my fabricated PIN diode :

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cyXmnum7K...AAASE/wP1YD3xEjJg/s1600/PIN+diode+2+copy.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
every one can't help me?

Related to Fabricating PIN Diode with Boron, Si and Phosphorus

1. What are PIN diodes made of?

PIN diodes are typically made of three layers: a P-type layer (made of boron), an intrinsic or undoped layer (made of silicon), and an N-type layer (made of phosphorus).

2. How does the fabrication process for PIN diodes work?

The fabrication process for PIN diodes involves depositing layers of boron, silicon, and phosphorus onto a substrate using techniques such as chemical vapor deposition or sputtering. The layers are then patterned and etched to create the desired diode structure.

3. What makes PIN diodes useful for electronic devices?

PIN diodes have a wide depletion region between the P and N layers, allowing them to have a high breakdown voltage and low capacitance. This makes them useful for applications such as RF switches, attenuators, and photodetectors.

4. How does the addition of boron, silicon, and phosphorus affect the diode's properties?

Boron provides holes in the P-type layer, while phosphorus provides electrons in the N-type layer. The intrinsic silicon layer helps to create a wide depletion region and reduce capacitance. Together, these elements help to create a diode with high breakdown voltage and low capacitance.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using PIN diodes?

One disadvantage of PIN diodes is their relatively slow switching speed compared to other types of diodes. They also have a higher forward resistance, which can lead to power losses. Additionally, the fabrication process for PIN diodes can be more complex and costly compared to other diode types.